Jump to content

So what's the gnarliest rear tire for a CRF230

Recommended Posts

Good to know another option. If soft, they should grip on hard pack but also should sink into soft ground. I'm done with hard tires. They only grip in soft soil, deflect badly and slide out easy. My son messed up his knee yesterday due to a hard tire that I have been telling him to get rid of

Edited by 1gr8bldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That spacing doesn't corner well on slick greasy or muddy stuff without a berm...

Here is one that shreds the gnar...

 

 

IMG_20170403_210007.jpg

Edited by mixxer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All terrain dependant....

Nasty one area isn't nasty for another....

Nasty for me includes snow and mud puddles that have just skinned over on top like pudding drying out....

Lay over some in those conditions and tires with knobs in lateral rows leave nice straight lines like dragging your fingers over cake frosting... Those lines start in the trail.... And end up in the trees....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen anything that shreds the M5b's in the gnarliest environment which is Hills and it separates the men from the boys. Unless your name happens to be The Boy. Check out the California riding section and ask anyone. We should be as happy as a pig in a poke that they make the little M5b's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so we have some frame of thought of what Gnarly is this is #1 in the world Colton Hakker and Kyle Redmond practicing at the Snake Pit here in So. Cal. 

I admit I don't take my 230 there often it is not the place for it. 450+ and a 140/80 M5b is what happens at the Pit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the Boy cleaning Snake Hill in Donkey-land. Built 450 with a 140/80x18 M5b. The second rider is also a good rider but it wasn't a go on that one. 

A couple of weeks later two good riders on 450's tried several times to make Snake Hill and dammed if they didn't get punished by the 230/250 it cleaned it.

Edit: It made it but in second and not at the Boy speed.

http://vid1275.photobucket.com/albums/y453/snakes2010/Mobile Uploads/trim.D3F43FE7-BD46-4E4E-85D8-62A8389D51B2_zpsgbxh3s5n.mp4

Edited by stevethe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to second this riding in CA with M5B if you dont use one. Your getting punished period. While me living there 54 years only tire to use. Too bad moved to Baja as the M5B wont survive Baja. Knobs fly off  like machine gun bullets all riders behind you duct for cover. Never once had the problem in CA,only in Baja.  The VE33/35 also looses knobs but takes a long time. So far our MT43 dont loose knobs last 3/4 times longer then knobby. For what Steve rides they wont work in CA sand hill climbs 1000ft to 3000ft.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bajatrailrider said:

I have to second this riding in CA with M5B if you dont use one. Your getting punished period. While me living there 54 years only tire to use. Too bad moved to Baja as the M5B wont survive Baja. Knobs fly off  like machine gun bullets all riders behind you duct for cover. Never once had the problem in CA,only in Baja.  The VE33/35 also looses knobs but takes a long time. So far our MT43 dont loose knobs last 3/4 times longer then knobby. For what Steve rides they wont work in CA sand hill climbs 1000ft to 3000ft.

No but the competition trails tires are pretty awesome. 

Remember though those M5b's work over rocks in Lone Tree, big mountain hill climbs in the Puite mountains with all the roots. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mixxer said:

All terrain dependant....

Nasty one area isn't nasty for another....

Nasty for me includes snow and mud puddles that have just skinned over on top like pudding drying out....

Lay over some in those conditions and tires with knobs in lateral rows leave nice straight lines like dragging your fingers over cake frosting... Those lines start in the trail.... And end up in the trees....

They work pretty well in the snow and mud by they way. Best tire by far I have ever used for anything loose. Especially mud pudding:lol: give one a try. They don't load up with mud too easy.

The only place they don't necessarily have it is sliding because they hook up so strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm running an M5B on the rear of my XR400.  Traction from it is incredible.  My only complaint is of how long they're lasting.  They're not bad at all, but we ride a lot of rocky stuff around here, and you can definitely see the toll they're taking on it in the form of rounded off edges.  Still, I've gotten more than 1 full year of riding about 1 whole weekend a month out of it, and I'd say it'll last at least until summer time.  So 18 months isn't terrible I suppose for a tire that grips this well.

I very much disagree about this tire not hooking up while turning in the mud.  As the previous poster said, one of the only "deficiencies" I've had with this tire is it not sliding when I occasionally want it to.  I'll come out of a wet turn sometimes and get on the throttle to try and get the rear to slide around a bit, only to have it completely hook up and pull the front tire.  Now THAT is something that'll send you off the trail if you're not ready for it.  

Traction wise, the only situation I can think of that I've noticed it not as good as it probably should be, is on a hard packed dirt road with a lot of very fine rocks scattered on top, almost powderly like.  They will slide all over the place on that type of terrain, but then again, I'm not sure any knobby will do particularly well in that case.

My 230 has some Vee Rubber tire on the rear, which actually hooks pretty well.  It has a similar tread pattern and spacing as the M5B, but not nearly the size lugs.  It also is not wearing / lasting well at all, as a lot of the lugs have chunked off now.  

I'm torn on my next tire between getting the tried and true M5B, or going over to a VE33.  I hear good things about it, and I wonder if it'll last a bit longer and/or do better on the rocks and roots I ride quite a bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sneaky98gt said:

I'm running an M5B on the rear of my XR400.  Traction from it is incredible.  My only complaint is of how long they're lasting.  They're not bad at all, but we ride a lot of rocky stuff around here, and you can definitely see the toll they're taking on it in the form of rounded off edges.  Still, I've gotten more than 1 full year of riding about 1 whole weekend a month out of it, and I'd say it'll last at least until summer time.  So 18 months isn't terrible I suppose for a tire that grips this well.

I very much disagree about this tire not hooking up while turning in the mud.  As the previous poster said, one of the only "deficiencies" I've had with this tire is it not sliding when I occasionally want it to.  I'll come out of a wet turn sometimes and get on the throttle to try and get the rear to slide around a bit, only to have it completely hook up and pull the front tire.  Now THAT is something that'll send you off the trail if you're not ready for it.  

Traction wise, the only situation I can think of that I've noticed it not as good as it probably should be, is on a hard packed dirt road with a lot of very fine rocks scattered on top, almost powderly like.  They will slide all over the place on that type of terrain, but then again, I'm not sure any knobby will do particularly well in that case.

My 230 has some Vee Rubber tire on the rear, which actually hooks pretty well.  It has a similar tread pattern and spacing as the M5B, but not nearly the size lugs.  It also is not wearing / lasting well at all, as a lot of the lugs have chunked off now.  

I'm torn on my next tire between getting the tried and true M5B, or going over to a VE33.  I hear good things about it, and I wonder if it'll last a bit longer and/or do better on the rocks and roots I ride quite a bit.

None of the knobbys last. The reason the M5b's last about as long as the other knobbys is they are tall. I'll show you a picture of what to do when you cut a new edge in them. They will hook up better or as good even when worn. 

No comparison between a M5b and a VE33. But if it's fire roads or easy trails any tire works. The only tires that seem to last the longest are the trials tires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I have said....  

 

Terrain dependant....

 

Same as you have different "favorite firearms" ... All depends on what the task is at hand....

 

Michigan has sand hills, miles of sand whoops, miles of half hill off camber, plenty of mud pudding...

A big difference is that a lot of it only comes with a guarantee of 36inch width between trees... As evidenced by all the missing bark at bar and peg height...And also why a lot of riders cut an inch off each side of the bars... Myself included... Standard width bars feel like I'm on a big cruiser street bike...

Anyways.... The awareness of lateral movement is sometimes measured in inches....  Take every terrain you have enjoyed and now put it in the middle of a forest.... That is where the majority of my riding related info is based... On the terrain I have ridden for most of my years... In those conditions you will find an acute awareness of lateral movement... Lol...Ouch...

 

So... if I'm shooting bowling pins with friends I am particularly fond of my sig229... But it isn't good for me for duck hunting because the rounds ruin too much meat.... Hahahaha.... Application dependant..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The M5b tire looks like it would have very good drive in deep sand or mud... 

 

I like the pseudo paddle arrangements when you are talking drive in loose terrain....

Edited by mixxer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the bridgestone shredder of gnar that I have been the happiest to have on the back of my 450 for most circumstances....

Very happy with all aspects of this tire...

Even a lightweight carcass with inter knob bracing.....

 

Screenshot_20170404-081702.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On tires its like other posts. It depends where you live,look at it this way. Moved from Ca to Baja Im less then 4 hours across border. What tire worked in CA does not work here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×