Kick start jammed after Valve shim

Hi All, 

I did a valve check and put everything back together and when i went to roll the cams over using the kick start, it jammed up 1/2 way down. Now its locked unless i take the cams off.

I was using the kick start to line up TDC as i couldnt get the bigger port cover off. There seemed to be a few marks on the fly wheel. Maybe i have the incorrect one?

I would pull the spark plug, then pull the cams. Shine a light down the plug hole to assist in you finding TDC. This helped me find TDC and the correct mark on the flywheel. If a light wont work maybe try dropping a pencil on top of the piston and use that as a reference when you turn the motor over. Then re-install the cams and make sure you time it correctly. As far as removing the big plug to turn the motor over with a socket, if your very careful you can get a dremel and the cutting wheel attachment and widen it up a bit, then replace the plug.

awesome! cheers!

The big plug groove has been wrecked by previous owner. Screw driver doesnt fit in. Is it ok to use the kick start to rotate the fly wheel to set TDC?

yes, its fine to turn over using your hand on the kickstarter. It's just takes more patience to pin-point exact TDC. Using the kickstarter, you're more likely to over rotate the engine or have trouble dialing in the marks. But it can be done. With the cap removed, you can fit a 14mm socket onto the flywheel nut to turn the crank over and line up TDC marks precisely. 

It sounds like it's not timed correctly, as others have mentioned. Do not force the motor to turn over. The valves are likely making contact with the piston. 

You can also remove the flywheel cover to gain access to that 14mm flywheel nut to turn the engine over. With the cover removed, you'll have an easier time removing the stripped plug. If you want to do it this way, be sure to drain the engine oil or lay the bike on it's side.

EDIT: now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember if the flywheel nut is 14 or 17mm. 

Edited by pCp 450

Ok i just had a go and it looked like my intake cam was a tooth out and also the chain was sloppy between the cams when i replaced them.

I rotated the cam while also making sure the chain was tight between the cams...

Bingo!!! the kick start now cranks full cycle. Must of had a kink in the cam chain if thats possible...

I also used a screw driver down the spark plug hole to help find TDC...

Now I need to work on fixing that port plug!