2018 yz250x

What changes and additions will we see on these? I'm looking forward to an even better bike and might hold off on buying a 2017. Let's hear it. I'm sure somebody knows something.

I have a feeling it will come with a 2.5 gallon clear tank, new frame, and e start.

Edited by rockytoptenn

Be really shocked if there is any significant changes......

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, em-efer said:

If yamaha was listening, I tell them to put the 2T in the 4T frame.  Easy way to make money and improve handling.

That would be sick.......

• Like 1

If yamaha was listening, I tell them to put the 2T in the 4T frame.  Easy way to make money and improve handling.

In theory, sounds good but a new frame needs to be built from the ground up. I'd like to see a new steel frame with the current 4t swingarm
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, FTUO said:

In theory, sounds good but a new frame needs to be built from the ground up. I'd like to see a new steel frame with the current 4t swingarm

I would also like a steel frame... but I'm pretty sure they won't do that.

• Like 1

Steel frames are over for Yamaha and anything over a 125. If you want a steel frame, get one, and add all the new stuff to it. IMG_5902.JPG

it could look close to this. 

• Like 12

you probably will get the option this year for either aluminum frame, blue colors, kick start, and cable clutch...or cable clutch, kick start, blue colors, and aluminum frame. i personally would go for the latter. 

• Like 8

It generally takes large OEMs a long time to recognize changes in market conditions, react to those changes, make adjustments to a product, and get that new product to market.

Merely creating a plastic part (fuel tank with additional capacity) would be a considerate time and $$ commitment. Now think of the complexities involved with electric start, 6-speed gearbox, hydro clutch, frame, etc. Think about how long it took Yamaha to get the X to market; and it has ZERO new tooling expenses.

At best, the upcoming X's will have a stator with (barely) enough output to power some minimalistic lighting -- only because it could be pieced together from the 4-stroke part bins. And that may not be 'til 2020.

I don't mean to be a downer, but that's the reality of big business/manufacturing/product creation. :banghead:

But I do enjoy the blue-sky thinking in these forums. :thumbsup: :cheers: 

• Like 4

lol I couldn't help myself.  I spent some time reading in the Pro Racing section and all the Reed vs Dungy stuff got to me I guess...   I took that pic at Indy - Round 11 this year.  Was a great time!  

• Like 2

i doubt they will do anything anytime soon. 

i contacted someone in South Africa about that e starter that was shown on a video a while ago, and he told me that Yamaha Corporate contacted the shop that built that starter set-up and told him not to build, sell, or show them anymore. 

big downer for me.  i need that button, because of my knee.  it makes the difference between a 30 mile ride and an 80 mile ride. 

if i don't sit down and figure out how to put one on one of these bikes myself, then it looks like I'll be stuck with orange for a while longer. 

13 minutes ago, hawaii500_1999 said:

i doubt they will do anything anytime soon. 

i contacted someone in South Africa about that e starter that was shown on a video a while ago, and he told me that Yamaha Corporate contacted the shop that built that starter set-up and told him not to build, sell, or show them anymore. 

big downer for me.  i need that button, because of my knee.  it makes the difference between a 30 mile ride and an 80 mile ride. 

if i don't sit down and figure out how to put one on one of these bikes myself, then it looks like I'll be stuck with orange for a while longer. 

why would they block the starter from being sold? are they sure the call didn't come from Austria?

• Like 3