More CR85 fork mods

For any of you flowing my old posts on Cr85 forks.

One kid that lives here asked me to set up Cr 85 forks for his 230. His bike lot lighter then mine he is shorter and lighter. He wants gold valves,well I know this is trouble but I decided to help. Before I start Chuck on the forum special thanks to him.On count less PMs questions on Gold valves. So I decided before I put Cr85 fork on his bike. I will try to get gold valve working on my 230,since I have two modded 230s to ride. No down time for him or me. So I did try my quick impact trick to pop out Honda base valves.Lucky they came out did not loose oil Quick job NOT SO. After many attempts to start gold valves in by hand. No dice.The new seals on them even that I oiled them made cartridge turn. So after all heard me cussing for blocks. I took forks completely apart with 2 day old fork oil to the trash. While I was in there did Mid stack valve mod just removed two of 4 shims. put gold valve in one fork done new oil again. So by hand I did my testing of both forks. OOH no my test there the same. So I did other fork leg same mod and gold valve.Test rode my bike few hours two days.Zero improvement over my modded stock base valves. The good part my mods to stock parts works good,but bad part gold valve.Not more plush for the lighter kid. So called Susp buddy in Burbank, CA. He said Mid valve not position sensitive. Its only called Mid valve because it is in middle of fork.It is because base valve for motocross not strong for jumping.Mid valve adds to Comp stack. So He told us how to make spacer to 80% disable it. Also As I already knew racetec clue less on trail riding susp. He said forget any valve spec they give you I already know that form past gold valve bikes. He gave me his reverse valve stack.Also want no more 2 1/2wt oil move up to 5wt oil. So when I get more shims/spacer made/ 5wt oil another week. I will report if caddy ride for light weIMG_20170329_181331318_HDR.jpgight.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

Love that old Bronco!

Thank you Vortec Im off road nut 4x4 but almost as bad as dirt bike insane. Bronco I got from a American living in Baja. He rolled it I welded used roof/posts on/and many used parts. 302 built mustang GT motor/4,11 gears/ posi rear end/4jn lift. Its very inexpensive to own off road trucks here.As no lic needed/or like Cal green sticker/somg. Off road trucks/bikes no plates no problem to drive on Highway 1 here. I only fixed up Bronco, Because my daily driver. Toyota Race truck double over head cam full race motor.Is a little much to go to grocery story.IMG_20170330_102554452_HDR.jpgPTDC0271.JPG

• Like 5

15 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

For any of you flowing my old posts on Cr85 forks.

One kid that lives here asked me to set up Cr 85 forks for his 230. His bike lot lighter then mine he is shorter and lighter. He wants gold valves ,well I know this is trouble but I decided to help. Before I start Chuck on the forum special thanks to him.On count less PMs questions on Gold valves. So I decided before I put Cr85 fork on his bike. I will try to get gold valve working on my 230,since I have two modded 230s to ride. No down time for him or me. So I did try my quick impact trick to pop out Honda base valves.Lucky they came out did not loose oil Quick job NOT SO. After many attempts to start gold valves in by hand. No dice.The new seals on them even that I oiled them made cartridge turn. So after all heard me cussing for blocks. I took forks completely apart with 2 day old fork oil to the trash. While I was in there did Mid stack valve mod just removed two of 4 shims. put gold valve in one fork done new oil again. So by hand I did my testing of both forks. OOH no my test there the same. So I did other fork leg same mod and gold valve.Test rode my bike few hours two days.Zero improvement over my modded stock base valves. The good part my mods to stock parts works good,but bad part gold valve.Not more plush for the lighter kid. So called Susp buddy in Burbank, CA. He said Mid valve not position sensitive. Its only called Mid valve because it is in middle of fork.It is because base valve for motocross not strong for jumping.Mid valve adds to Comp stack. So He told us how to make spacer to 80% disable it. Also As I already knew racetec clue less on trail riding susp. He said forget any valve spec they give you I already know that form past gold valve bikes. He gave me his reverse valve stack.Also want no more 2 1/2wt oil move up to 5wt oil. So when I get more shims/spacer made/ 5wt oil another week. I will report if caddy ride for light weIMG_20170329_181331318_HDR.jpgight.

could you post a pic of that spacer you are going to use

• Like 1

Ok Rod spacers coming from Calif,Im in Baja. I will post in detail only if after me and other testers say it is good.  Here is the good part partners Cr85 fork done spacer,5wt oil,re done gold valve, .40 springs.His 230 270cc motor not done another month or more. He will bring his forks to mount on my bike in a week or so. Big time testing with all type riders just out my driveway riding. Hang tight. We will keep working on this till perfect . Also install mid valve spacer in my other cr  forked 230 with stock modded base valve.  Again thanks to Chuck without his help we would not have got this far.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

Thank you Vortec Im off road nut 4x4 but almost as bad as dirt bike insane. Bronco I got from a American living in Baja. He rolled it I welded used roof/posts on/and many used parts. 302 built mustang GT motor/4,11 gears/ posi rear end/4jn lift. Its very inexpensive to own off road trucks here.As no lic needed/or like Cal green sticker/somg. Off road trucks/bikes no plates no problem to drive on Highway 1 here. I only fixed up Bronco, Because my daily driver. Toyota Race truck double over head cam full race motor.Is a little much to go to grocery story.

have you seen this yet?  http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/a-new-ford-bronco-and-ford-ranger-are-officially-happen-1790972669

uge6xaknnzaru1fcwevw.jpg

• Like 1