Restore the dinosaur

& dont thrash n trash them because it's getting too hard (and expensive) to get parts for them now.

I don't pass a shed or barn that doesn't make me curious if there's an old motorcycle in there.  Don't junk 'em.  Give them to someone who will care.

• Like 1

is that an 80/81 YZ?.......yes like those but they are made to thrash mmmm maybe take it easier on them than you would on a modern machine-those look like a mx bike worthy of a resto.....i'd happily spend 5k on that if it were a keeper,old bikes are cool and I love them more than any g/f Ive ever had.

It's a '78 yz400. Runs like a champ. ;) It's got a tick in the top end, haven't really checked what it is. I don't ride it too much right now because I'm saving up for a top end rebuild. Don't want to blow up the cylinder or something. They ain't cheap when they're old, especially when your broke and in college.

& dont thrash n trash them because it's getting too hard (and expensive) to get parts for them now.

I agree...but would add to it and say to Restore or List for Sale your old bikes from the '70's and early '80's, especially MX bikes. Restoring bikes is a great rewarding hobby and it will be a great conversation piece, but it also requires quite a bit of skill, knowledge, money, and time. But your point is well taken...don't continue to thrash 'n trash them...it could be worth a bit of money...$500 or $1,000 on CL. It may take $2,000 to $3,000 to restore, depending on the starting condition and the quality of the restoration...

Yeah.. jimmy .. did you see the thread on here where some goose threw RM 125 X in the trash ?? , he should have been " drawn and quartered " !! . Anyway some fellow on here rescued it and brought it back to life .

I don't pass a shed or barn that doesn't make me curious if there's an old motorcycle in there.  Don't junk 'em.  Give them to someone who will care.

That's where I found my yz400. I met up with one of my buddy's and it came up in conversation. He was like " yeah man I've got this old yellow dirt bike sitting under a pile of wood and junk behind the barn. I think I'm gonna toss it." I offered him $200 and took it off his hands. Now its getting its first ever top end rebuild, even then the top end was within manual tolerances, just looked old and was ticking. Besides that it still makes 120 psi of compression and has TONS of power. Only thing I did was a new clutch cable and a modern carburetor. Not bad for a 38 year old 2 stroke. ;)

• Like 2

Personally old bikes are my passion-I spend what ever it takes to revive them-XT/TT 500-600, XR/XL 500-600......these are just some of the bikes I grew up admiring yet  could never really afford when I came of working age.
 I love the simple bold colour scheme's.....generally I buy and keep everything so 300 nzd for a nos kick starter or a side cover is ok BECAUSE  old bikes just dont look right with fancy shaped parts imo-I just enjoy cruising the seal on mine so they all get dressed with  road tyres!

Edited by exare
  • Like 3