Skid plate

I am looking for a skid plate to fit to my 2017 FC450. Not having much success with the carbon fibre one I had, I am now looking at the two genuine options that are available. These both look like they are a great design with minimal weight being quick n easy to remove for servicing and cleaning. Has anyone tried these? if so what are your thoughts? If anyone could supply some photos that would be amazing. I am not sure If I have posted this topic correctly, please let me know If it is in the wrong area.

26103990544.jpg

UHP1503020.jpg

Sigma Pi thats a good point I didn't think of that. Would you have any pictures of one installed? I think overall it's still probably a good option?

shingo, the bike didn't come standard with a skid plate. I have tried a carbon one but am now looking at the genuine options. 

Thanks for the replies 

On 4/4/2017 at 2:07 PM, Megzie13 said:

Sigma Pi thats a good point I didn't think of that. Would you have any pictures of one installed? I think overall it's still probably a good option?

shingo, the bike didn't come standard with a skid plate. I have tried a carbon one but am now looking at the genuine options. 

Thanks for the replies 

Anything really.   I would probably get metal or plastic as long as the bolts were recessed a bit. 

I am still around. I supply factory Husqvarna with all there EnduroX plates. I do have a plate for the yz250 2 stroke I finished up this spring. I just haven't got back to the website to update. I work a full time auto repair job and build plates after hours. Time runs a little thin. Contact me @ jonseehorn@yahoo.com or 509-998-1975 leave message or text. Thanks for your interest in the product!

-Jon_Seehorn

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, Bruce372 said:

The acerbis plastic one is really good . Fits perfect, just one bolt to install. Very durable thick plastic

Yeah I have over 500 hours on the acerbiz, its also only one bolt.  I use some soft closed cell foam between the front frame rails and the plate, keeps it nice, firm and tight.

Otherwise, the TMD, but plastic is the only ones I like, msr also has a plastic one now, but I prefer the one bolt set up.

the stock one is cheap, thin, less coverage and prone to come loose with the quck release, unless safety wired, which defeats its purpose.

Edited by Spud786

Yeah I have over 500 hours on the acerbiz, its also only one bolt.  I use some soft closed cell foam between the front frame rails and the plate, keeps it nice, firm and tight.
Otherwise, the TMD, but plastic is the only ones I like, msr also has a plastic one now, but I prefer the one bolt set up.
the stock one is cheap, thin, less coverage and prone to come loose with the quck release, unless safety wired, which defeats its purpose.

The 17 does not have a quick release
  • Like 1

The SXS is the way to go! Skid and linkage in one. 

Also checkout the AXP Xtreme that Slavens sells. It also has the linkage guard and a brake pedal guard.

It's beefy!

http://slavensracing.com/shop/skid-plates-for-ktm/

I ended up buying the AXP instead of the SXS. I tried to get a hold of the SXS company, but they never returned my email or call...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, farmboybunk said:

Also checkout the AXP Xtreme that Slavens sells. It also has the linkage guard and a brake pedal guard.

It's beefy!

http://slavensracing.com/shop/skid-plates-for-ktm/

I ended up buying the AXP instead of the SXS. I tried to get a hold of the SXS company, but they never returned my email or call...

is the part over the linkage rubber?

17 hours ago, Spud786 said:

The acerbis one seems to be a good set up looking like it would be a quick easy install as it would be removed after every ride. the soft inserts on the inside for the frame rails would be great to, as the last skid plate I had sat hard against the frame and working it's way through the paint.  

The sxs, TMD and apx options suggested look like they would be bullet proof. what are they like to remove and install? and how are the bracketed? Can't thank everyone enough for the replies, much appreciated.

The sxs, TMD and apx options suggested look like they would be bullet proof. what are they like to remove and install? and how are the bracketed? Can't thank everyone enough for the replies, much appreciated.

The AXP has a three point mounting system. It's very secure and didn't take long to mount.
Check out this video from Slavens Racing:

The SXS is bugger to install from my understanding. I've heard that it's a hour long job and takes two people.
Check this video out from Dirt Bike Channel:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2017 at 0:57 AM, farmboybunk said:

The AXP has a three point mounting system. It's very secure and didn't take long to mount.
Check out this video from Slavens Racing:

The SXS is bugger to install from my understanding. I've heard that it's a hour long job and takes two people.
Check this video out from Dirt Bike Channel:

Hey I ended up going with the AXP skid plate. I am very happy, it's much lighter than I thought it would be and It's really strong. It fits up great and is shaped very well. It's fast and easy to install, simply twist the back into position and 2 bolts in the front and that's it. I ordered it direct from AXP as no one could supply it here in Australia. They have excellent customer service and I highly recommend them. Thanks farmboybunk for the suggestion I'm stoked with the new skid plate. 

• Like 3