1985 xr250r carb clean

Hi all. carb was leaking a lot out of overflow and had problems idiling , taken it off and seems like the right float is sticking a bit, what do I need to do to fix it? Many thanks . Bike was sitting for 2 years, should I clean whole carb or what? Just trying to learn my way round bikes, many thanks

is it sticking on that brown pin? I'm not sure.. need to fix this so I can sell it . Thanks for eveyone who will helpIMG_2317.JPG 

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2316.JPG

" I" would definitely clean the whole carb after it have set for 2 years. But I wouldn't recommend you tearing it down any more than it already is. Just take out the jets and spray them and their passages out with cleaner. Pay attention to which goes where, as they are probably not the same sizes in each.

You need to know what the float level setting spec of each carb are supposed to be so you can check and set them. Look the floats over carefully. Compare their size and shape. If that one float is dragging on the brown pin, the other float might clear it if you swap them around. If you did that, you'd have to make sure the float level spec for each side is correct, as they might be different. Make sure the mounting pin for the dragging float is fully inserted.

Get put back together and use a brush and some solvent to clean up the outside of the carb, especially around the control linkages.

I would 100% take it completely apart and soak the whole thing in a bucket of Simple green. Carb clean spray rinse.
Brand new jets, brand new rubbers. Check float level.
Done.
Its an 85. Gas is only getting dirtier

1 hour ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

I would 100% take it completely apart and soak the whole thing in a bucket of Simple green. Carb clean spray rinse.
Brand new jets, brand new rubbers. Check float level.
Done.
Its an 85. Gas is only getting dirtier

I agree, "I" would completely tear it down too. But the poster is inexperienced and tearing down this dual carb setup completely is more complicated to put back together and sync properly and probably beyond his abilities. It's liable to become an even more jacked up problem than it currently is.

I don't have much experience but im not dumb, just rebuilt the bike last week just of the manual. I just want to get it to stop leaking fuel so that i can sell the bike. Just looking for best option, many thanks :) 

Glad to read you have a manual. It should tell you what the float level specs are and how to set them. If they're set so that they allow the fuel level in the bowl to raise them too high before the needle shuts off gas flow from the tank, that excess fuel goes out the overflow tube.

If the float is currently hanging up on the brown pin in that first photo, you may be able to set the max drop stop for the float so that it never drops far enough to get hung up on the pin. Set the float to manual spec. It may be something like 12.5mm or something. That's the height of the float in the bowl when it shuts off gas to the bowl. Max drop before it hits the stop may currently be something like 25mm. The floats do not need that amount of full drop. The factory doesn't usually spec a max drop setting. So after setting the float to the manual spec(its minimum standard drop), if the floats metal arm has a provision for it, bent its max drop stop tang so that the float only has a max drop of 5mm more than what the manuals standard drop is. So if standard is 12.5, you bend the max drop tang to allow a total drop of 17.5mm. Then see if the float interferes with the brown pin anywhere along the allowed distance of float travel.

Make sure the float isn't loose on its metal arm.

Edited by Trailryder42

10 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

I agree, "I" would completely tear it down too. But the poster is inexperienced and tearing down this dual carb setup completely is more complicated to put back together and sync properly and probably beyond his abilities. It's liable to become an even more jacked up problem than it currently is.

And he is really only wanting to get it to a sellable condition.

im thinking of just cleaning the floats and jets in bottom of the carb. Aswell as the outside since it is so dirty. Ive taped off all the holes into the carb and outlets before cleaning. Any tips of cleaning outside? was just going to spray engine degreaser then wash off with water..i do have a can of carb cleaner is thats better. many thanks

If the float is adjusted correctly, next item is the float valve, the surface has to be perfect or it will continue to overflow leak even if the setting is correct.

A minimum after float height is verified is to buy a carb kit, it will have the stuff you need.