2017 300rr...G2 throttle tamer

I never really understood the need for the progressive pull throttle tubes.  It doesn't alter the bikes power delivery at all.  All it does is put a Band-Aid on how much the rider can twist the throttle.  Seems like it is just another sparkly thing to buy for our bikes... ok, THAT part I can understand. ? 

I just don't see the 300rr as some fire breathing monster that no mortal can control without changing the throttle tube.  Is it really hard to control in rocks with a normal throttle tube?  I guess I am asking is it a true "need", or a mental purchase?  To me, it would annoy me to have to twist the throttle further to get the same results.

I am dealing with my own need vs mental purchase with the Scotts Damper I put on last weekend.  I have never had one and finally decided to drop the coin after riding dirtbikes for over 35 years.  Rode with it a few days out in the desert and can't really say I noticed a difference.  But ask anyone that has one and they say take it off and you will wonder how you ever rode without one.  *shrug* I don't know.  My experiment is ongoing.

13 minutes ago, RhinofromWA said:

I never really understood the need for the progressive pull throttle tubes.  It doesn't alter the bikes power delivery at all.  All it does is put a Band-Aid on how much the rider can twist the throttle.  Seems like it is just another sparkly thing to buy for our bikes... ok, THAT part I can understand. ? 

I just don't see the 300rr as some fire breathing monster that no mortal can control without changing the throttle tube.  Is it really hard to control in rocks with a normal throttle tube?  I guess I am asking is it a true "need", or a mental purchase?  To me, it would annoy me to have to twist the throttle further to get the same results.

I am dealing with my own need vs mental purchase with the Scotts Damper I put on last weekend.  I have never had one and finally decided to drop the coin after riding dirtbikes for over 35 years.  Rode with it a few days out in the desert and can't really say I noticed a difference.  But ask anyone that has one and they say take it off and you will wonder how you ever rode without one.  *shrug* I don't know.  My experiment is ongoing.

For us on our XT the G2 Throttle Tamer was 100% needed so the little lady would enjoy the bike. Without it she wasn't comfortable riding in the tight trails because how twitch the throttle was. We also change the jetting including the needle which made the G2 twice the difference.  This is no different to a steering damper, some people need it and some think it's a band aid for poor suspension set-up. Skill, terrain and speed makes all the differences in add-ons.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, weantright said:

For us on our XT the G2 Throttle Tamer was 100% needed so the little lady would enjoy the bike. Without it she wasn't comfortable riding in the tight trails because how twitch the throttle was. We also change the jetting including the needle which made the G2 twice the difference.  This is no different to a steering damper, some people need it and some think it's a band aid for poor suspension set-up. Skill, terrain and speed makes all the differences in add-ons.

But you aren't taming the twitchy engine with a G2, really.  It is still there, nothing changed to the engine.    I guess it is just the skill part of being a new rider and the inability to modulate the throttle as needed.  It is just now when you do want/need that engine to open up you have to twist your wrist even more.

Me, I am worrying I wasted $600 on a shiny bobble.  I got my own issues. haha.  Figured I wasn't getting any younger and might as well try it out.

I used the G2 x400, x200 and linear x100 cams.  I found the x400 (progressive) cam to be a bit too lazy for my taste.  The x200 is better, but I'm going to ride the bike with the x100 cam for a bit.  I also found backing the power valve out to flush really helped.  This removed the mid RPM hit and made the power more linear while adding some low and low mid grunt.  We ride 1'st gear rocky trails every ride, just takes a little left finger control and the more snappy throttle I found to actually help.

Edited by dstewart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RhinofromWA said:

But you aren't taming the twitchy engine with a G2, really.  It is still there, nothing changed to the engine.    I guess it is just the skill part of being a new rider and the inability to modulate the throttle as needed.  It is just now when you do want/need that engine to open up you have to twist your wrist even more.

Me, I am worrying I wasted $600 on a shiny bobble.  I got my own issues. haha.  Figured I wasn't getting any younger and might as well try it out.

You're correct but I never said it tamed the engine, just the twitch throttle. The more experience riders adapt just like you would on any demo bike. Using the G2 took her from an open field to single-track with hills. The single best mod I have done to this bike closely followed by jetting.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

What size cam did you use ?

1 hour ago, RhinofromWA said:

You've never ridden with a altered throttle cam then. You're correct in saying that it doesn't alter the bike's power delivery at all ... if you "measure" it relative to throttle opening. What a "slower cam" does allow you to do is to be more precise, giving you higher fidelity of slide lift to throttle tube angle. In the tight and nasty stuff the healthy torque of the 300 can be too much right off the bottom. When I was racing the 300 I ran a Throttle Tamer and FMF Factory pipe in a successful effort to move the power off the bottom and spread it into a stronger, longer top ... which is almost what the 250 is famous for ?

• Like 2

Just a heads up, a G2 throttle tube doesn't change how much rotation is required to achieve the same effect in total rotation as stock. That's the whole point of cams. All's they do is change the progressivity of the cable's rotation as it relates to the final rotation of the tube. In other words, if it takes 90 degrees of rotation to be wide open with stock it takes 90 degrees of rotation to be wide open with a G2 throttle tamer. It's just slower to start, and faster to end.

If your super into tight technical stuff on a POS bike I can see using one. The Beta's power delivery is already so smooth and linear though I'm not sure I'd see much benefit in it. 

Besides all that, power isn't made with the throttle tube, its made with the left index finder. Once you learn that, your skills will undoubtedly improve.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gr4vitas said:

Just a heads up, a G2 throttle tube doesn't change how much rotation is required to achieve the same effect in total rotation as stock. That's the whole point of cams. All's they do is change the progressivity of the cable's rotation as it relates to the final rotation of the tube. In other words, if it takes 90 degrees of rotation to be wide open with stock it takes 90 degrees of rotation to be wide open with a G2 throttle tamer. It's just slower to start, and faster to end.

If your super into tight technical stuff on a POS bike I can see using one. The Beta 's power delivery is already so smooth and linear though I'm not sure I'd see much benefit in it. 

Besides all that, power isn't made with the throttle tube, its made with the left index finder. Once you learn that, your skills will undoubtedly improve.

+1 What that man said

It wasn't till I owned a bike with a silky smooth hydraulic clutch that I learned to always ride with 1 finger on the clutch. Man it saves some grief, and provides you with so much more control over the bike.

Next on the list of must-have skills is balance!!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gr4vitas said:

The Beta 's power delivery is already so smooth and linear though I'm not sure I'd see much benefit in it. 

No disagreement - Beta's have a smooth and linear power delivery. My point was that the level, no the character, is sometimes too much.

As to where power is made, I think you'd find it most closely related to how much air and how much fuel you're introducing to the engine, and at what rpm ... a clutch is simply a device to transmit (some portion of) the power that has been created to the transmission :ride:

• 3 months later...

I am struggling with the same decision. To tame the throttle or not to? I got an xtrainer the end of May.  Only road on single track a few times but slowly almost everyday. I have looped the bike twice both times I think in 2nd maybe 3rd on single track.

My experience level is low, started at the first of 2017 on a DRZ400 and found rapidly it was not designed to do the things I wanted. Slow technical stuff. Too heavy. 

I have decided after some reading and practice to simply ride in the next higher gear. I was practicing figure eights and balancing and driving as slow as possible in 2nd and it was a world a difference. It removes the jerkiness of engaging the clutch or gas to fast. 

My concern is if I get the tamer it will negatively affect my learning curve at some point.