Valve Clearances

So I decided I should check my valve clearances last night.  Season here is just starting and I wanted to make sure I was good.   I need a new set of feelers because mine go from .15mm to .20 mm so I can't really get an accurate measurement.    

This is new to me but, I have read tons and watched many videos.   I do need to re shim an intake valve as I could get a .20mm under it    My question is when I am shimming where do I want to be?  This is something I couldn’t find a definitive answer on.  Do I want to be in the middle of spec?

Example specs are .1 to .15 mm so do I want to be at say .13mm.    

I am a little nervous about it even know I think it really isn’t that hard.  But it is my first time.

Any tricks and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by nickerkx

Been doing some more reading on this and thought of another question.  Should I be worried that I am on the loose end of things.    I read that valves typically tighten up over time  so why is this one intake valve on the loose end ?

Shim as high as possible.

0.15 mm Inlet

0.22 mm Exhaust

Nothing is ever perfect. A wee bit under or wee bit over is just fine. As the bike runs and valves wear, the gap gets smaller. So shim high and it will simply wear itself to the low over time.

If you read alot and watched the videos you are in great shape and have nothing to be nervous about. Put some great tunes on the boom box and have at 'er.

Yes I am pretty sure its only the one I need to shim.  I am getting a better set of feelers and will check them all again .  But it worries me that the one that is out is on the loose end seeing as all I have read said they get tight?      Normally you shim down but I have to shim up.

How long has been in storage? Has the bike been run before checking the valves?
Which valve is it?

If its been sitting in storage, and you have not run it at all or much such taking it out ... things may be just a bit sticky.

Over time, the shim buttons needed should be thinner. If you are needing to put thicker ones in, much thicker, then suggest the valve is either sticky or there may be a problem with the seat or guide.

ok I rechecked with a better set of gauges.    I also don't think I was right at TDC when I checked last time.      

Intake - both at .005 in

Exhaust both at .008 in

thanks for all the responses.

• Like 2