xtrainer vs rr300 coming from crf230

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and fairly new to dirt biking as only started last year with a CRF230.

I am looking for a new bike that would be a good next step for me. I have done tons of reading and watching of videos and talking to people but now my mind is full of so much info that I am really having a hard time deciding what to do. I am only 5'7" and 195lbs, I have no interest in riding competively or doing jumps and things like that. I stricktly ride single track, double track and some fire roads (for those in Ontario, I ride the 5 points trail system North of Buckhorn near my cottage). I was thinking that the xtrainer would be a good next step but I read things like the shocks are crap, and riding in any gear over 3rd is scary on this bike. I am not sure how true that is as it must have better shocks than my CRF230 and I don't understand why it would be scary in the higher gears as I ride my 230 down the fire roads at 60mph and don't find it at all scary, so why would this bike be scary at that speed ? I then think that because of these issues I should consider the RR300 and turn the power valve down all the way as it has much better shocks, kick start, full enduro frame and handles much better in the higher gears. So basically I am getting more for my money. I would have to lower this bike by 2 inches and get the seat concepts low seat to bring the height down by 3 inches, but i have no issues doing that. No matter what the bike I want the seat height no higher that 35 inches. The only problem then with the RR300 would be that being a novice with one year experience even with the power valve turned down this bike might be too much for me to handle, especially going from a 4 stroke and never ridden a 2 stroke. I am struggling with the value proposition vs the rideability for the riding I do. The rr300 is obviously better value for the money, but if it is too much for me to handle then it does not matter. The other problem is that I have no way to try both bikes before I buy so won't really know which one is better and can I handle the RR300 or not. This is what makes the decision so hard as don't want to spend all this money then be disappointed or have buyers remorse.

I would be really interested to hear peoples comments on this especially those that have ridden both beta bikes, and came from a CRF230 or ridden one or an equivalent bike, and if there are any novices like myself that are riding the RR300 and what they think.

Thanks

Peter

The xtrainer is way better than a 230 in performance. It is on par or beats it most every way but cost and availability of bikes and cheap parts. The 230 does have that Honda durability...Aka built like a tank, but you pay for that with more weight or things like drum brakes. With the internet Beta advice and parts are easy to get.

-

I do like the 230s torquey 4 stroke smoothness, it's a lot of fun, but suspension, weight, handling...Xtrainer licks it. 300 vs XT is beat to death here. XT can be modded like any bike to suit.

-

Check out frickin Jim, another option is to upgrade the 230 to higher spec.

-

There is not a lot of value in most any new bike, they take a 2k hit instantly. Conversely there is no used XT market because folks rarely sell them...So you need to get lucky, be patient, or buy new. I accepted I had to buy new to get what I wanted, if cash was tight no way...I'd get a 250x or used KTM or something else not as fun but more affordable...No regrets tho since I ponied up

I've never ridden the XT.  I went from a wr250r to a 300rr.  My only input for you is that adjusting the powervalve DRAMATICALLY changes how the bike performs.  You can quickly and easily change it so there is no hit in the powerband to rip the grips out from your hand.  I am by no means an expert rider, but I hated the bike with no hit.  It just wasn't fun for me.  It was very easy and predictable though, which I think is what you are looking for.  But if you want to grin from ear to ear and hang on for dear life, you have that option as well :)  I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with either.  I've always heard that the 230 is a turd, but I have no experience on them either.

I have both is my shop, My Xtrainer and my friends 300RR. He stores it at my place. I have ridden his a few times, I prefer the Xtrainer. The Suspension is set for slow rough riding. It really soaks up the rocks in the single track. I have mine plated and I ride it 60MPH + on pavement. Fire roads are a not scary at a fast pace, 40-50 MPH. My friend always tells me to slow down because he can’t keep up on the forest service roads. Seat heights are really not all that different. The 300RR does feel heavier. Steering from lock to lock, the Xtrainer is sharper and when you get into a spot that you need to turnaround it is a noticeable difference.

• Like 3

I had the same choice to make. Pretty much a beginner when it comes to enduro bikes, went for the RR because of the kick start, better rims, better suspension. I've adjusted my power valve in another turn from stock and must say the 300 is surprisingly easy to ride. There is a lot of power on tap, but the delivery is very smooth, I've not found the bike intimidating at all.

I have not adjusted the suspension yet or got a lower seat, but I need to as I'm only 5 foot 7 and struggle with the stock height of the bike.

I do wonder if the x trainer would have suited my riding better, but the 300rr is very stable at high speeds, handles well and is a versatile bike. 

Would recommend one for sure :)

• Like 1

I "own" (its my wife's) an Xtrainer and a RR390. The XT is not scary 3rd gear and up. It can be ridden at speed, I had a friend of mine demonstrate that when even season riders on 500s could not keep up with him on an old rail bed. Is the RR frame more stable at speed, yes, but if you are just connecting trails, you will be fine. Just remember to vary the throttle, the stock jetting can load up at constant RPM for an extended period of time.

As per the jump from 4t to 2t, I went through the same before I got my 390, 250L to an Xtrainer and aside from that sweet sweet sound and the absence of engine braking, the XT engine was the perfect transition.

My suggestion to you is if you can find an XT, from the description of terrain you ride and your skill level, you would be well served by the XT. Otherwise, if you can't wait and can get your hands on a RR300, then you can turn the PV down.

Cliff's notes: Xtrainer first, RR300 second.

• Like 2

We have our XT plated and on the road it is no different then any other dirt bike. It's when the road or trail becomes bumpy that the XT falls short and becomes scary at speeds. For our riding 2t are not well suited and personally I don't like them. However we have the XT because it's light weight, low seat height and OI. Otherwise I would have bought the RR. There's a gap in Beta's line-up, no 250f platform!

OP, I would suggest looking into a AJP before make your decision.

http://motoajp.com/

Edited by weantright

16 hours ago, FUHL said:

I have both is my shop, My Xtrainer and my friends 300RR. He stores it at my place. I have ridden his a few times, I prefer the Xtrainer. The Suspension is set for slow rough riding. It really soaks up the rocks in the single track. I have mine plated and I ride it 60MPH + on pavement. Fire roads are a not scary at a fast pace, 40-50 MPH. My friend always tells me to slow down because he can’t keep up on the forest service roads. Seat heights are really not all that different. The 300RR does feel heavier. Steering from lock to lock, the Xtrainer is sharper and when you get into a spot that you need to turnaround it is a noticeable difference.

Hey I'm just curious...Have you upgraded the springs to match Beta's recommendation per their spring weight chart?  If so, did you stay w/ in recommended range or did you go up 2 or 3 spring weights from Beta recommendation?

I have not changed out my Springs. I weigh about 185 without gear. I may in the future and if I do, I will go 2 sizes over recommended.

I did adjust the forks. I turned in the compression spring adjustment and the rebound all the way in (max adjustment)

This is my first 2-stroke. Previously I had TT-225, the original from 1986. 1984 XR250R, 2001 WR426F, and various dualsports. I am having the best time on the Xtrainer.

• Like 2

I've owned 2 strokes in the dim and distant past but had only ridden 4 stroke dual sports recently prior to the XT.   It's without doubt one of the easiest 2 strokes to ride out there.  You will not find it intimidating.   With power valve in and G2 throttle tamer (which settles down the sort of jerky low rpm throttle response) it's a very gentle 300cc 2T.

I have not ridden an RR and so can't say if it's equally tame-able, although it seems so from others' experience.  The thing I  wanted and like about the XT is the short wheelbase and lower seat.  I'm 6'1" and 195 so the RR wouldn't be a bad fit for me.  But I'm gimpy, with one replaced knee and the other overdue for it, and I appreciate the XT's height, especially on a slope or rougher terrain.

As for suspension my guess is you will find it worlds better than your 230.  I ride trails and non-trails in the northeast US woods and find the suspension very forgiving, and so far plenty good for me.  But I ride slow (often by myself) and simply don't do jumps the way kids and fast riders today do.  If suspension upgrades are in your near future the RR may be a better value.

Enjoy!  -Scott

Edited by wsjones
  • Like 3

I own an RR300 & have ridden a '16 X-Trainer. If you can source an XT, get it. It's the perfect step up (2t or 4t) for your stated skill level & current bike. Bags of torque off the bottom, noticeably lighter than an RR, pretty low seat height for a full size dirt bike. Beta parts are pretty cheap, too.  

Learning to ride a 2-t is a whole new adventure - stand up as much as you can, head over the 'bar clamp, elbows out, weight on the balls of your feet. The XT will help with hill climbing confidence, line selection & finding traction.

Best wishes. 

• Like 2

I had all 2T bikes prior to my last 95 and 96 Xr250r's. I just bought a brand new Xtrainer. I have about 5 rides on it. I do the type of riding you describe and occasionally rocky areas but haven't taken the XT there yet. It has taken a bit for me to get used to the 2T again. Its hard to stall, doesn't have an on/off power band, but still plenty of power for me. Its not really a great high speed bike, but if you're doing single track riding, top end is not your priority..

I would consider myself a novice rider even though I have years of experience.

I love the electric start. I have zero problems with the suspension as it is so far. 5'10"/185lbs. The brakes are great except I need to adjust the rear brake lever down a bit. Its high for me. The gear box is noisy and at first the shifting was a bit notchy. The bike is pretty quiet. I have had ZERO start issues or any other for that matter. I never have had an electric start before and I love it.

I bought new and paid a premium. I sold my XR's and all kinds of stuff to pay for it. Worth it for me. Beta gives a 6 month warranty too. They seem to stand behind their product.

All in all, its fun bike thats easy to ride and does everything i have asked of it so far. The only thing holding it back is me.

Edited by D.C.XR250
  • Like 3

Very cool. Can't wait to get ours. Supposed to be delivered here Sunday.

I have both the xt (2016)  and the 300rr (2015).   Side by side the rr is way bigger.  But the size difference may not be so noticeable if they aren't dead on side by side.  I love big powerful bikes so my DNA draws me to the biggest baddest I can find.   The xt is my sons, and I have ridden it several times and I am more than impressed.  I'm 6' 2" and with the risers the bike has, I never feel that its small, but I do feel that its light and very maneuverable and very forgiving, yet it will loft the front hoop anytime I want.      Ive had over 50 bikes  over the years all flavors and sizes so I have a wide comparison base.  For single track... the xt is perfectly suited and arguably DESIGNED for it.  Sure the track and mx race inclined guys would complain bitterly on such a machine....  but this is not relevant.  Ive ridden mx race bikes in the woods and I could write a long list of legitimate complaints, which ironically are suspension based and even power delivery!!!   Again complaining about a mx race bikes suspension, power delivery, geometry, etc in a woods setting is completely irrelevant and a very unfair "review " of an otherwise top notch mx race bike.

Your height and riding preference scream XT to me.  If you don't like the "fun and challenge"  of dealing with a big bike, then choose the XT.   If bigger is better choose  the 300rr.   The e start on both bikes pretty much removes most riders height concerns 99% of the time (since kick starting a tall bikes for shorter riders is a real and pressing issue).  Now, the other 1% of the time,  a tall bike ( at least for us) usually results in a low speed, slow motion tip over, followed by giggles from the peanut gallery.   My 5'3" 10-year old was riding a 250 sxf with e start.  He's 12 now and on the xt.  He has always shared my bigger is better gene lol, but the XT is perfect for him (and even me when I want a change).   One criticism is that its very forgiving and hence too easy to ride.  For some, this may take some of the fun out of riding.  IE having to think and work bit harder to maintain control is part of the fun for many, and on the flip side, a complete turn off for others.  Years back I sold my "forever bike"....a BMW R1000GS, simply because after a year or two of riding i realized it was  to much "point and shoot" (too easy to ride and lacked character).   I then bought  xr650L in its place (ya ya.....back then they were more dirt worthy, than the current iron clad 650l's now).

On the XT, the suspension did take some tuning (simple adjustment).  We took the bike over a small jump several times and filmed in slow-motion (on our phones).  This allowed us to quickly find the right rebound damping.  This was the point a which the tires maintained contact with the ground after the jump.  following this 15 minute excecise,  the pogo stick feeling on faster sections, was gone forever!!!

If your still confused...buy the bike you like to look at the most  (with E-start) ...because in decent mechanical condition, they are all fantastic and you will be happy regardless.   Just remember...stick to 2-ts'.....oops did i just type that :)    

Edited by bikedad1
  • Like 3