Drz 400s brake light issues

i have a 2002 drz400s with the stock tail light. the running light works but when i go to press the brakes the light doesnt get brighter. ive changed the bulb out and it is still the same. when i turn the parking light on the light does get brighter. ive tried jiggling around some wires but no luck. ive read some other threads saying it could be a switch but im not sure on how to check if the switch is bad.

Thanks in advance

The elements are on the wrong circuit maybe? I'm not sure what bulb these use, but dual element bulbs can be but in 180 degrees out meaning that the bulb may just need to be pulled out and rotated 180 deg, then reinserted...  

i have a 2002 drz400s with the stock tail light. the running light works but when i go to press the brakes the light doesnt get brighter. ive changed the bulb out and it is still the same. when i turn the parking light on the light does get brighter. ive tried jiggling around some wires but no luck. ive read some other threads saying it could be a switch but im not sure on how to check if the switch is bad.
Thanks in advance

There are 2 switches, one on each brake lever, its doubtful they are both bad. Get a test light or a volt meter and verify whether or not you are getting voltage through the brake light wire to the tail light assembly. 99% of the time this is gonna be a loose wire, so if no voltage is present at the tail light when you operate the brake levers, start tracing the wire back looking for damage. It ain't difficult.

Check to make sure your rear brake pedal isn't stuck in the down position.  When the switch contacts are open the light stays on and bright.  It is easy to get caught up and think it isn't working.  Look on the right side near the pedal to locate the switch.  If you can push it in then the pedal is caught up and the light is constantly on and your thinking it doesn't work.  This happened with my DRC Edge II and it took me a minute to figure out the switch's contact were open.  The switch might be misaligned and the contacts are open...If so just pull it towards you.   

Edited by RAE129
  • Like 2

Ive checked both switches ive pushed them in all the way and let them out and the light doesnt change i took the the 3pin connector off and tested the volts and the left (black) and right (white) wires have power but the middle (brown) doesnt even if i press the break it still doesnt get power but if the key is turned to park the brown wire gets 8ish volts and the rear light get brighter

Gotcha.  I think brown is your neutral (verify by continuity between frame and brown leg or from neutral on battery to brown).  What voltage do you get between the hot legs (white to brown and black to brown).  You should receive 12 Volts on one and Zero volts on the other until the switch for either brake is pressed. 

Edited by RAE129

Voltage across the battery is approx. 12V correct?  Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere or one of the wires is shorting out.  Try unplugging either of the switches one at a time and read voltage between the 3 terminals again.  You shouldn't have a voltage from your neutral to the ( - ) terminal on the battery.

The rear brake switch connector is above the frame drain hole.  Look on the right side of the bike (i.e. right side if you are sitting on the bike) 

Turn the ignition switch off and check continuity between the 3 terminals as well.  Neutral to (-) or frame should beep.  Hot (white or black) to neutral should not beep.  If it does you can trace the wires back and find the cause...

Let me know what you find.

Edited by RAE129

The neutral to the negitive terminal doesnt beep and the the hot wires conneded to the neutral dont beep either i m trying to trace the wires to the front cluster behind the head light but i cant seem to find the neutral wire

I definitly dicked something up now my bike wont start and if i put the directional on ot goesfrom the brake light to the directional...

Check the fuse by the battery.

Take a look at a wiring diagram to figure it out.  Don't give up and be patient.

Can you take pics or a video?    

Yeah i checked the the fuse it looks good. It sounds like its grounding out some where, not sure where. ive checked all the connections i unplugged and they are all hooked up

Did you remove the gas tank?  Everything should be exposed if you remove the tank.

Yeah i have the tank off i dodnt see any connectors under the tank the only ones were under the seat and behind the headlight but all of those are hooked up

I found out why it wouldnt start... the battery had enough juice to turn the light on but not to turn it over. hooked it up to the charger and now it turns over