Frame guards - to protect boots??

Bike - 2016 YZ250X

Boots - Forma Predator

Problem - I've started doing a bit of mx track riding to improve my conditioning and just get more seat time in addition to my usual off-road riding.  I've noticed that on the track where I'm riding faster and really squeezing with my legs the pivot hinge area of my boots seems to be taking a beating where it rubs on the frame/bolt heads/rear master cylinder etc.  Would a pair of frame guards help this?  If so, would it make a difference if I got the Acerbis ones or would the smooth Carbon Fibre type be better?  I really don't care about the scuffing on the bike, but the boots are pretty new and were expensive.  I want them to last. 

Thank you

Hmmmm, crickets.  Didn't think it would be that difficult to answer...

I guess what I meant to ask was:  What's the best premix oil to use in my 2 stroke?  I'm getting spooge.   Do you think it's the reeds?  Should I mix at 32:1 or 60:1?  Maybe my sag is wrong?  Will Yamaha make an e-start 2 stroke next year?  Is Rotella ok in my transmission?

(that is all jokes, just trying to see if anybody will bite...)

• Like 3

I wouldn't worry about the wear on the boots, unless it's excessive. 

Frame protectors are typically to protect the frame of the bike from the boots.

Baby oil, definitely the reeds, 48.5:1.03, sag doesn't matter, buy a ktm, rotella is fine. 

• Like 4

$500 boots vs frame of a (pretty much) brand new $7500 bike... uhh I think your priorities are a little backwards, friend. But yes, frame guards will help both causes. 

Uh, yeah. I've been accused of that before lol.
  • Like 1

My Sidis get beat up from gripping the frame but it seems cosmetic.  Not something that is going to damage the integrity of the boot.  I have no idea of the quality of the Forma boots you have though.

On 4/4/2017 at 6:55 AM, Doc_speeder said:

Bike - 2016 YZ250X

Boots - Forma Predator

Problem - I've started doing a bit of mx track riding to improve my conditioning and just get more seat time in addition to my usual off-road riding.  I've noticed that on the track where I'm riding faster and really squeezing with my legs the pivot hinge area of my boots seems to be taking a beating where it rubs on the frame/bolt heads/rear master cylinder etc.  Would a pair of frame guards help this?  If so, would it make a difference if I got the Acerbis ones or would the smooth Carbon Fibre type be better?  I really don't care about the scuffing on the bike, but the boots are pretty new and were expensive.  I want them to last. 

Thank you

I guess it would be looking at what might help.. or not help.. I've never got guards to protect boots but I guess so.. my guards were for the frame but it depends on you and your bike. I think it's simple.. pick one..buy it ..put it on and see how it works..then report back. I've never heard of anyone putting up an inquiry like yours before..but boots aren't cheap.. ok.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yz250x+2016&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdtamO5pHTAhVJyWMKHVfaB2IQ_AUIBygC&biw=1025&bih=519#tbm=isch&q=yz250x+2016+frame+guards

Shoulda got Gaerne boots. Lol. I've got a pair that's 8 years old that just won't die. I did have them re-soled once. Never had a problem like yours. What kind of bike is it?

The Forma Predators are a very good boot. Ranked equal or above the SG12 Gaerne in most of the reviews I read. Unbelievably comfortable. It's likely my riding style/foot position, and the position of some of the bolt heads on the rear master cylinder on the YZ.

I think I'll try some guards and see what happens.

• Like 2