CEV Handle bar switch wiring instructions

Image1491333562.179399.jpgImage1491333591.657876.jpg

I have a 2010 Honda CRF 450x and I am trying to diagnose a problem I have where the bike seems to hit what feels like the rev limiter at 6500rpm which is clearly not right! I have checked the resistance values for the coil, plug lead, exciter coil and pulse generator all of which seem to be in spec! However this CEV handlebar switch has been added by the previous owner and I want to determine whether it is wired correctly. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it? Many thanks Simon

<<I have a 2010 Honda  CRF 450x and I am trying to diagnose a problem I have where the bike seems to hit what feels like the rev limiter at 6500rpm which is clearly not right>>

Still at it?  That's a bummer.

Problems like this are usually electrical, but what does it sound like when you hit this?   Is it a rapid stutter or something else?

Jim.

>
Still at it?  That's a bummer.
Problems like this are usually electrical, but what does it sound like when you hit this?   Is it a rapid stutter or something else?
Jim.

Hi Jim! Yes still at it! It's a real pain to find! Starting to wonder if there is a problem with the ignition control module! Would be great if I could find someone close with the same bike and swap them over to test. It is definitely a rapid stutter at 6500rpm every time! No variation. I will see if I can record a video and upload to you tube. Will send you a link to see what you think. Thanks for the response again.
Simon

Well I think I have got to the bottom of things! It appears that it is the kill switch causing the problem! With it disconnecting everything is fine! Losing roughly 2 volts through the kill switch obviously due to poor connections which is enough to make it play up! So will order a new switch and hopefully that's it sorted!

That's great...glad to hear you found it!

I really detest electrical issues....you can get such varying symptoms.   I mean really, won't go past mid-range because of a voltage drop?  That's pretty odd (not if you understand it, but in trying to troubleshoot).

I should have thought of that.  There's been more than a time or two where a ignition problem has ended up being a kill switch.

Anyway, you're off and running sounds like :ride:

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

That's great...glad to hear you found it!
I really detest electrical issues....you can get such varying symptoms.   I mean really, won't go past mid-range because of a voltage drop?  That's pretty odd (not if you understand it, but in trying to troubleshoot).
I should have thought of that.  There's been more than a time or two where a ignition problem has ended up being a kill switch.
Anyway, you're off and running sounds like :ride:
Jim.

Thanks Jim!
They are a pain to find but fortunately I am an electrician by trade so used to fault finding! Like you say though I still wouldn't have thought that colt drop would have caused the problem I was getting.
Yes I had read about the kill switch so I looked into it. All looks good and thanks for your
Responses they were much appreciated.
Simon