Christian Craig to fill in for Ken Roczen...

With Ken Roczen out for the remainder of the 2017 season, Honda HRC has tabbed current GEICO Honda 250 rider Christian Craig to fill-in for the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship set to begin on May 20 at Hangtown.

“Honestly, when I got the call that factory Honda wanted me to fill in, I couldn’t stop smiling,” Craig said in a statement. “To have this opportunity is an honor. Obviously, everyone including me is so bummed Kenny got hurt, and I’ll do everything in my power to make the team and Kenny happy they chose me as the guy to ride his bike while he recovers. I’ll be going into the season open-minded and as prepared as I can be. The 450 class is more stacked than ever, but hopefully after the first couple rounds I’ll be able to learn the pace and see where I fit in. Thanks to the entire Team Honda HRC and GEICO Honda crews for allowing this to happen, and to Kenny for letting me borrow his bike for the summer. I’m beyond grateful.”

While with Troy Lee Designs, Craig primarily rode the 450 outdoors, competing in the class in 2011, 2012, and 2014. He also made his pro debut with JGRMX in 2009 in the 450 class. Craig’s best finish in the class was a seventh overall at Freestone in 2011. The last two years, Craig has competed in the 250 class with GEICO Honda. He missed all but two rounds a season ago due to injury.

Team manager Dan Betley added: “We’re really excited to have Christian riding for us in the AMA Pro Motocross series. He’s shown notable speed in the 450 class in previous years, and I think he has the potential to deliver solid results. GEICO Honda is our extended family; we have a great relationship, so we appreciate them allowing us to have Christian for the season.”

22 minutes ago, Arctic Pride said:

So much for Jmart

JMart was already penned in to ride Geico 250's this outdoors and stepping up to 450's next year.   Geico is banking on him winning the 250 outdoors for them 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Fryboy said:

JMart was already penned in to ride Geico 250's this outdoors and stepping up to 450's next year.   Geico is banking on him winning the 250 outdoors for them 

They better put some nos on that turtle.  

• Like 6

I hope the best for Christian after this let down of an SX season, but man he has his hands full with that 450 field outdoors. 7-10th overall will be a good day IMO. 

29 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

They better put some nos on that turtle.  

Geico Honda will smoke any factory KTM 250 F.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Geico Honda will smoke any factory KTM 250 F.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Geico Honda has a hard time keeping up with a stock KTM 250f

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Arctic Pride said:

last i recall the yam 250's were the ones to beat outdoors...

No doubt about that.  JMart, AMart, Webb and Plessinger all did well on the blue 250F.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arctic Pride said:

So much for Jmart

My thought exactly.  Would rather see JMart on the 450, but I get that they want to win a 250 title outdoors and that probably doesn't happen with Craig.

• Like 2

Is there any way we can fit Chad Reed into this thread?  I don't feel like we've talked about him enough.  

• Like 9

I was shocked they picked Craig. Obviously they have plans for Jeremy Martin, so it sort of leaves Craig as the only person available if they use their satellite teams as designed. The honda will be there, that's there goal, and I don't expect worse then a 10th out of him. Not a horrible choice. It would've been more motivating in my opinion if hrc spent any effort on the 250 class. They sort of leave geico to the wolves and then want the riders.... when they disbanded the 450 geico team I knew that's what they were doing but then didn't really call out to loud to get some talent. Yamaha is the opposite, the satellite 250 teams do really really well but there isn't a 450 future. Yamaha spends no money on the premier class but instead just sort of fulfills a "live your dream for a day" effort there. If yamaha made the effort, they could've had 450 and 250 classes sewn up. Instead, Tomac and roczen weren't even presented a deal or package. Webb will be a loyalist, but there will be a new influx of up and comers from the 250 class next year and there is only 2 blue bikes to ride in the 450 class. It'd be awesome for plessinger to step up to a factory yamaha next year....time will tell. Obviously kawasaki has cared for their seeds well and I'm seeing a green machine running over everyone for the next few years to come in both classes. Mitch Payton did it right, and he did it well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

Mitch Payton did it right, and he did it well.

When does AC go 450, he's starting to look like Benny Bloss out there

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arctic Pride said:

When does AC go 450, he's starting to look like Benny Bloss out there

There are grumblings out there that he is shopping for a 450 ride as his current contract is over after outdoors.  Not sure if he needs one more year in 250's though to be honest.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Towel.Nutkis.Lipshiz said:

fk-yeah-it.jpg

I thought he was marketing his own ? ... Called  "Aussie Dong Strong" :)

Edited by jetfuel
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

I though he was marketing his own ? ... Called  "Aussie Dong Strong" :)

Na you are mistaken this is CR's premier product:

femmesil-cream-50g-tube.jpg

• Like 1