Getting a title in Alabama for a dirt bike

I just bought a 1997 XR250R. I would like to get a title for it so I could get a plate and ride on the road. But the guy I bought it from did have a title. And I just went to my local title and Registration office and they said the thing I need is a title in my name. I also need something like a certificate of origin. And I don't have either of those. Can I get some help!!!!

PLEASE!!! Thanks.

The guy I bought it from doesn't have the title either. Is there some way I can use the VIN or something to find out who the first owner is? That way I could contact them and get it.

8 minutes ago, John Luke Travers said:

The guy I bought it from doesn't have the title either. Is there some way I can use the VIN or something to find out who the first owner is? That way I could contact them and get it.

Some states don't title dirt bikes and many owners don't hang onto the certificate of origin.  It's not a true dual sport bike so the only why it would have had a street title is if someone who owned it converted it and passed the inspection for their state.  If it is sold to a state that doesn't allow bikes to be converted they won't title it there for street use.

You may have to use a title service, they may be able to get you one.  I'm not sure about the laws for your state so I don't know if a dirt bike can be converted and registered for street use or not.

The state I live in doesn't title dirt bikes or allow them to be converted.  They won't issue a title for an out of state bike that was titled for street use either.