what size shaft goes into my rim?

hi i just bought a 12"rim with 15mm bearings and was wondering what size shaft goes into it i know it has to be 10 inches long but i purchased a 15mm shaft but its just to big, do they make a 14mm? what size goes in? and could you buy it at a local hardware store? thanks. have had no luck with getting answers on this website so hopefully one of you answers,

thanks

Either the wheel bearings are not 15mm or the axle you bought isn't 15mm. A 15mm axle bolt will fit through a bearing with a 15mm ID. A digital vernier caliper tool will give you a very accurate OD measurement of the axle you have, and posting up the bearing number here will enable us to verify that you have 15mm wheel bearings.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply TT addict, i called up the company and found out they sent me a 16mm or bigger axle by accident apparently instead of the proper rear axle, (i ordered a 15mm shaft to go into the wheel but i didn't fit) i thought it was my fault not the distributors... now i sadly have to wait for the cheap part to be returned all the way to china before i can get the proper one from them...

Edited by nick98065

Thanks for the reply TT addict, i called up the company and found out they sent me a 16mm or bigger axle by accident apparently instead of the proper rear axle, (i ordered a 15mm shaft to go into the wheel but i didn't fit) i thought it was my fault not the distributors... now i sadly have to wait for the cheap part to be returned all the way to china before i can get the proper one from them...

Glad you got it figured out, having the right sized shaft makes any rim job go smoother.