grinding when riding

when I ride there seems to be a noise or grinding when I ride. I changed the bearings in the rear tire and its the same. Can it be the 2 rollers  for the chain Its a 90 xt 600 bike. The noise dont do it when I push the bike only when I ride and it seems like its by the left foot peg. the rollers do wobble but can this mke the noise? thanks for your input

There is a redish orange roller over the swingarm pivot point that the chain rides on it gets worn out from never being lubed and will cause a hell of a noise . Check that out as well , maybe clean it up good and put a little oil under it to see if the noise goes away. Those roller also need to be replaced if they wobble , they cheap and redily available on ebay.

Okay thanks. How many rollers are there ? I see 2 on the diagram 1 by the kickstand and 1 one swing arm. Now I do see one on top of the chain in the diagram maybe I am wrong Thanks

There are 2 smaller rollers , one above the chain on the frame and one below the chain also bolted to the frame . Then the roller over the swingarm pivot point. 

These will replace the 2 smaller rollers , http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XXT+chain+rollers.TRS0&_nkw=XT+chain+rollers&_sacat=0

ok , great I see the 1 on the swing arm, the one by the kick stand but the other one I don't see. I looked on the parts catalog I do see that by the battary mount between the u shape on the frame. Is that correct? Now the one on the swing arm do I have to drop the swing arm or can I just slip it out as I pull the swng arm bolt out?. The one on the arm is wobbling so that might be bad

I see the E models are a little different than the kickers I'm used to . There is one like I linked but then a little different one down below . Both of these rollers are on the frame , not the swingarm ,  #26 & #30(pluse the accociated parts) in the "frame " schematic , http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1991/XT600EB/FRAME/parts.html 

This is the one on the bottom , http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XT600-XT-43F-2KF-1VJ-3AJ-3TB-Frame-Chain-Roll-Roll-Tensioner-Spanner-/351502511654?hash=item51d72eae26:g:8~gAAOSwhQhY5p7I&vxp=mtr  , however those other rollers I linked to will relace it and work better because they have bearings.

The one around the swingarm pivot requires the swingarm to come out away from the frame enough to slip the old one off and the new one on . I've never tried to see how much can be kept together as far as shock and linkages ect.. to change it , I always took everything completely off the bike to clean up , regrease and/or put new bearing and seals in all the pivot points as long as it was coming out . It's possible just the pivot bolt can come out and the arm can be pulled back and the roller swapped without removing anything else.

Edited by jjktmrider

will get the 2 rollers for the frame and get a 1  new roller on the swing arm.