2017 Desert 100 Videos

I think I had a pretty good pace going but flatted out around mile 36 racing Super Senior (50 mile class).  I managed 28th out of 125ish in class last year.  I might have gone for a finish on the flat but I caught up with my son who buried his bike about 100 yards from the 39 mile checkpoint.  Somewhere in the process of getting it out we either cooked the clutch or something else in the transmission.  I took the DNF so I could cut a little of the course and get back with my truck to retrieve his bike.  It was my first flat or mechanical failure in five years and a combined 9 outings when you include my son's bike of which I am the lead mechanic so I guess I've been pretty lucky.  The links are the first two of four videos of the race until.  I'll probably get the rest posted up tonight.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBikQW1bX34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyEHNtLYyU

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, chezdude said:

Somewhere in the process of getting it out we either cooked the clutch or something else in the transmission. 

There were lots of guys out there that smoked their clutches in mud holes. About 4 of 5 we were able to get rolling again by simply adjusting their clutch cable.  I was surprised how few people knew they could do that.  One guy said he had been sitting there for an hour and a half (which really means 30 minutes) and we had him rolling in under five minutes.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 8:01 PM, chezdude said:

I think I had a pretty good pace going but flatted out around mile 36 racing Super Senior (50 mile class).  I managed 28th out of 125ish in class last year.  I might have gone for a finish on the flat but I caught up with my son who buried his bike about 100 yards from the 39 mile checkpoint.  Somewhere in the process of getting it out we either cooked the clutch or something else in the transmission.  I took the DNF so I could cut a little of the course and get back with my truck to retrieve his bike.  It was my first flat or mechanical failure in five years and a combined 9 outings when you include my son's bike of which I am the lead mechanic so I guess I've been pretty lucky.  The links are the first two of four videos of the race until.  I'll probably get the rest posted up tonight.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBikQW1bX34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyEHNtLYyU

Get to know mousse...

On 4/8/2017 at 11:48 AM, Wiz636 said:

There were lots of guys out there that smoked their clutches in mud holes. About 4 of 5 we were able to get rolling again by simply adjusting their clutch cable.  I was surprised how few people knew they could do that.  One guy said he had been sitting there for an hour and a half (which really means 30 minutes) and we had him rolling in under five minutes.

There was no saving this clutch.  Evidently somewhere along the route my son must have hit a rock and put a hole in the clutch cover.  Yes it has an aluminum skid plate but it doesn't cover everything.  At any rate, a dry clutch was no match for the wheel high mud we were trying to break loose from.  It smoked it good and it smoked it fast.  My garage smells like I've been storing creosote soaked railroad ties in it.  The clutch was beyond toast.

9 hours ago, chezdude said:

There was no saving this clutch.  Evidently somewhere along the route my son must have hit a rock and put a hole in the clutch cover.   Yes it has an aluminum skid plate but it doesn't cover everything.  At any rate, a dry clutch was no match for the wheel high mud we were trying to break loose from.  It smoked it good and it smoked it fast.  My garage smells like I've been storing creosote soaked railroad ties in it.  The clutch was beyond toast.

No way around an issue like that!

On 4/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, TigerTanker said:

And my last video for the event.... a Family friendly, hot dog, family poker run, cute kids and hampy camper sort of thing. ..

See you all next year!!!

Your becoming the Spielberg of TT. Good work on the videos!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Definitely late to this party but better late than never!  Awesome event, sweet photos and videos from others!  I look forward to next year, although I am bummed it's scheduled same weekend as Supercross in Seattle :banghead:

31 minutes ago, Dmax said:

Definitely late to this party but better late than never!  Awesome event, sweet photos and videos from others!  I look forward to next year, although I am bummed it's scheduled same weekend as Supercross in Seattle :banghead:

LOL, you mentioned the day and time you were leaving for the event...and I was thinking about parking. Then at the end of the vid.... Cool, I'll check out your series of vids.