2017 beta 500RR-S fire road real world gas mileage

Sorry if this is discussed somewhere. I am considering getting a 500 RR-s, but live out in the NM mountains. Sometimes I have rides like the NMBDR where it is 153 mi between gas stations. So I am trying to determine whether I could live with the Beta vs the KTM (even with the 4 g IMS tank). Real world KTM mileage is in the low 50 mpg. I am hearing it is worse for the Beta. However, I want to make sure that I get actual data from the 2017 FI models.

Also, there is a rumor that the dealer has the ability to perform map modifications that could possibly lean the map but still be reasonable performance. Is this true?

Finally, my riding still will be mostly pretty slow on fire trails, ATV and some single track. But when I do the long rides, it will likely be roads like the TAT, Continental Divide, etc.

Thanks for considering.

Mark

On my 2016 500RS, just did 120 miles, took 2.85 US gallons at the pump, 42 miles per gallon.  Low fuel light came on at 70 miles.  I rode a gear higher after light came on & was a little easier on throttle.  Bike has about 66 hours on it and was probably a 25mph average.  Mileage has gotten better since new, but I am ok with 100 miles to a tank, where I ride.

Any of these bikes and fuel economy is in the right hand. The KTM500 and the big Beta are both getting basically the same fuel economy.

Everyones conditions and riding styles are different, but picking a new bike should be based on more than a few peoples mileage reports :naughty:

I would not be surprised if any of the new FI'ed bikes "can" get 50mpg, right wrist dependent...

Even my older Beta 2014 450 carbureted bike can get 45+mpg or as little as 32mpg, depending on conditions. I ride with the IMS 3.2 gallon tank from minute #1 from the dealer. I've turned on my reserve 2 times in 2 years and not because it was running out, just my OCD acting up :goofy:

Theoretically the 390 should yield better economy.

IMHO, the FI'ed bikes with a 4 gallon tank should do a easy 175+ miles in open terrain and not bending the throttle non-stop much. And when I'm riding the desert carrying a little extra juice is smart no matter how big your tank is (sometimes other riding buddies cut it too short) been there done that. 

BTW, the 390 Beta is a great bike! If it was around a couple of years ago, there would be one in my garage already, and if I can pull a few more strings this summer there will be one in my garage to keep my 2014 Beta 450 company !!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Mark-us-B. Sage advice. Trying to decide between the 390 and 500. I do weigh 185ish. And plan to use it as a mini adventure bike at times and will load it up a bit on occasion. My buds advise me to go for the big engine.

Dealer has a 480 I am going to try next week. Not sure I will ever be able to test ride a 390.

Looking mainly for torque at lower speeds. Ride a lot of fire roads, two track and occasional single track. Having reserve power would be really nice. I currently ride a WR250R (and will keep it as a second bike).

So far on my '17 500 I've seen from 36 to 42 mpg with riding that ranges from freeway to single track. I'd say for fire road type riding 40 mpg is probably a good average. I went for the 4 gal tank in big part due to the less than stellar mpg. I'm figuring about a 160 mile range max. My old DRZ400-S with the FCR39 carb and E model cams used to average about 40 mpg so I'm right where I used to be with a lot more power.

I don't have a lot of time on the bike yet so not a lot of different rides to give a really solid average over a wide range of conditions.

I also plan to use mine as a dual sport and light ADV bike and I'd say my current riding is pretty similar to what you stated "I Ride a lot of fire roads, two track and occasional single track." I'm hoping to do more single track (used to ride tons of it) but that's a good description of how my rides for the past few years have worked out.

Edited by danketchpel

When choosing which cc range to purchase, I went with less stressed engine & steel valves.  If I didn't plan on racking up a lot of road miles, I would have probably looked closer at smaller displacement, because they are so much fun.  But, as my 500 gets more time on it, with G2 throttle tamer, I love how it runs, pretty much everywhere.  It loves putting, heavy roll on, stab of the clutch, throttle finesse, single track, etc.  

13 minutes ago, BetaDale said:

When choosing which cc range to purchase, I went with less stressed engine & steel valves.  If I didn't plan on racking up a lot of road miles, I would have probably looked closer at smaller displacement, because they are so much fun.  But, as my 500 gets more time on it, with G2 throttle tamer , I love how it runs, pretty much everywhere.  It loves putting, heavy roll on, stab of the clutch, throttle finesse, single track, etc.  

Question on the G2 throttle tamer, are you running the 400 cam? I "think" that's the only cam that works with the FI RR-S bikes, at least according to G2 when called them. I'm wondering how well the 400 cam is matched to the 500? Looking at it I would think there's an area around 1/2 throttle or so where it comes on pretty abruptly as it transitions from the low are of the cam to the high. Do you feel this when riding? I was thinking I might like that transition to be more progressive but maybe it's fine?

When I had talked to G2 they said they were planning on developing a new cam for the FI bikes maybe available around spring time. I was going to contact them again to see if anything is happening on this. I'm quite interested in getting one as I wouldn't mind to slow down the response a bit in the 1/4 - 1/3 throttle area.

Your comments on the G2 are more than welcome.

I liked the stock setup and I didn't really believe the hype on the throttle tamer.  The tamer will not change the on/off/on throttle abruptness much.  It makes a wider range in low throttle region, which made riding street much smoother.  I can tell a difference in mid throttle progression & I like it, a lot. It is a small change that I have grown to appreciate over last 25-30 hours I have run it.  I'm at a point, where no other upgrades are calling me, so that's a good and more affordable place to be.  Steel oil pump gears are probably next on list.  

CONS for the tamer.  I had to adjust all available slack out of both ends of cable.  My heated grips only came with one insulation strip for clutch side.  Throttle tamer tube is aluminum & absorbs more heat than clutch side.  Killed set of serviceable stock grips. All minor bitches.  

Here's my gas mileage experience.  This weekend, we went to Death valley.  One trip between gas stops took us 145 miles and it used up 3.46gallons of gas which is almost 42mpg.  This ride included about 50 miles of street traveling about 55 mph.  40 of those miles was in a head-on 40mph dust storm having to drop to 4th and 5th at times.  50 miles was on dirt roads and the rest was going up and down at various anglesf from 290 feet below sea leve up to about 65000 feet and I pretty much stayed in 1st & 2nd gear.  So that pretty much covered everything.  I imagine that's the worst mileage I could get without trying to get bad mileage.

• Like 1

To present the flip side of the coin, on a recent trip to Baja riding tough single track in mostly first and second gear for 55 miles, I averaged 22 mpg on a 500 RR-S. I know those aren't the riding conditions asked about by the OP, but when you get on the gas hard and under tough conditions, the gas DOES go quickly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danketchpel said:

Thanks for the feedback BetaDale. I'm also planning on heated grips so I need to get some large shrink tubing.

Which heated grips did you go with?

I put the steel gears in at 10 hrs.

I purchased basic Heat Demon kit from Amazon, with hi-off-lo switch.  I used the pilot light power in headlight.  I would probably use Oxfords, if was doing again.  

15 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

Regarding heated grips, I put AM'E grips on my DR and will most likely use them on my Beta. Six heat levels and shut down when voltage gets to 12.8 so you do not have enough to start your bike, they also clamp on so no need to insulate the bars. 

Yeap, they are ones I am considering too.  A little more money, but one guy I talked to said he never has to run them on max heat.

On 4/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, BetaDale said:

When choosing which cc range to purchase, I went with less stressed engine & steel valves.  If I didn't plan on racking up a lot of road miles, I would have probably looked closer at smaller displacement, because they are so much fun.  But, as my 500 gets more time on it, with G2 throttle tamer , I love how it runs, pretty much everywhere.  It loves putting, heavy roll on, stab of the clutch, throttle finesse, single track, etc.  

So which Beta models have titanium valves as opposed to stainless?

NC

12 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

I put them on for a trip to Hyder, AK and across British Columbia. 2,700 miles in September, cold mornings and late evenings - so was cold at times, level two was as much as I wanted. 

Any pics of your trip?  I took my ADV bike to Alaska last summer and had a great time.  There were times I wished for a bike about half the weight of my BMW 1200.  Did you ride mostly off-road?

NC