DRZ E vs S/SM ignition timing

Hi,

would like to make sure I understand it correctly. 

according to Clymer Manual E and S/SM might have a different ignition timing. The manual says the following:

E - 7° BTDC at 1800rpm

S/SM - 7° BTDC at 1500rpm

Does it mean that E has a more advanced ignition timing? If so, it should influence the mid range and top end pull.

The ignition is not adjustable but maybe it's possible to change it by swapping flywheel or cdi?

The E has more aggressive cams, and a CDI that revs 500 rpm more than the S/SM.

• Like 1

It would seem the E has a less aggressive timing than the S. Not uncommon when you have a higher compression ratio. However, when you get closer to 14:1 compression, things start to change again.

Clymer Manual is simply giving the initial ignition timing at the recommended idle speed.  As far as anyone knows the E/S/SM ignition timing are all the same.

• Like 1

Why do you say the S/SM has less initial timing?  Both are 7 deg at idle.  Need to know at what RPM the timing starts to advance.  I suspect both are still 7 deg at 1800 RPM.

13 minutes ago, Noble said:

Why do you say the S/SM has less initial timing?  Both are 7 deg at idle.  Need to know at what RPM the timing starts to advance.  I suspect both are still 7 deg at 1800 RPM.

Reread what I posted. Just the opposite! :bonk: