2016 300 xc e-start issue

Hi guys.  Got a question for you.  I checked the past topics and didn't really find what I was looking for so here I am.

I recently picked up a 2016 xc with 19 hours on it.  This was from my son who decided to go get more into road bikes.  The bike is great, a little touchy for me but I'll adapt.

My problem is that while it kick starts first time, every time, I can't get it to start using the e-start.  The engine turns over but it never actually starts.  I don't try more than 2-3 times before just kicking it because I don't want to wear the battery or starter/solenoid (if they have that), but this isn't right.  Even on a trail, with the bike well warmed up, it won't start.  The bike was purchased brand new last May, could it already need a battery, it has drained down a couple of times, my son really didn't ride it much, which is why he wanted to get rid of it.  I put a Voyager on it because I like the info I get back from my rides and I like to know my speed, rpms, GPS crap, I'm kind of a nerd that way I guess but this was only for my last ride.  I mention this because the Voyager shows the battery at 13.4, etc...

Could it still be the battery while turning the engine over isn't putting enough juice out to start the bike, it seems extreme to think the starter is out already, the bike has missed most of our winter weather.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Could it still be the battery while turning the engine over isn't putting enough juice out to start the bike, it seems extreme to think the starter is out already, the bike has missed most of our winter weather.

That has been my experience.

Happened on my 08 450excr, 09 250xc and 15 200xc-w.

Starters always worked but after about 18-24 months the bike would turn over for what seemed like normal but would not fire, put in a new Yausa lead acid and back in business. I get a couple of years out of the Yausa and are dirt cheap now, $38 on RockyMountain.

Edited by RollieW

I'll try that.  My son works at Cycle Gear so I can get a decent discount from him.  Even so, sometimes online beats their employee discounts.

The main problem with the lead acid batteries is the one that comes stock with your bike has a low CCA. I would suggest paying a little bit more and get yourself a Li Ion battery. They are 2 pounds lighter and have more than twice the CCA's. You also don't need to charge them up either. I bought a Shorai Lithium Battery LFX14L2-BS12 and it has 210 CCA's. The stock Yuasa battery has 90 CCA's. I've had it on my bike for about 2 years now and never had to charge it up yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rroeckel said:

Saint, it seems that you haven't but have you heard of the Li batteries just dying on you at the end of their life?

They shouldn't just die on you. They will start to lose their maximum capacity before anything.