Rideaho Vacation!

Rideaho1.jpg

Hola TT crew... Its that time again to start planning my Idaho riding vacation. Historically, I have started my trip up at Gold Creek lodge, then headed to Stanley, then down to Baumgartner. I love all of these rides but wanted to try and mix it up a little this year.  Its kinda sad because I grew up in Pocatello so I really should know where to go but really only rode locally (Pocatello, Twin Falls, American Falls) when growing up... Anyone have any epic riding areas that  provide at least 3-4 days of riding? My trip is usually two weeks and I like to try and hit 3 different locations. The only thing I am restricted by is that I travel in an RV with trailer so the area has to be accessible (tho my bikes are plated so that helps a little). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Fyi- Epic levels of snow, flooding and most likely destruction up there this year. Also consider the river crossings. 

If you like Gold Creek you should really like the St. Joe.  It's more technical and expansive than Gold Creek so it's an advanced riders only area.  We like to do the 80 mile round trip Wallace to Avery ride out of Cranky Gulch.  There's also lots of other options around the St. Joe area including Big Creek, Mosquito Creek, and across I90 is State Line out of Burke.

The snow is deep this year so anything planned earlier than late June could be problematic.

20 minutes ago, 350DirtRider said:

If you like Gold Creek you should really like the St. Joe.  It's more technical and expansive than Gold Creek so it's an advanced riders only area.  We like to do the 80 mile round trip Wallace to Avery ride out of Cranky Gulch.  There's also lots of other options around the St. Joe area including Big Creek, Mosquito Creek, and across I90 is State Line out of Burke.

The snow is deep this year so anything planned earlier than late June could be problematic.

I heard about this place last year! I thought I heard that it was not accessible to an RV tho? We are not going to August...the snow this year has been brutal!

6 minutes ago, fbennett12 said:

I heard about this place last year! I thought I heard that it was not accessible to an RV tho? We are not going to August...the snow this year has been brutal!

You have several choices for RV camping in the St. Joe area.  There's RV camping around Big Creek and Wallace that you could stage out of or you could go around to St Maries and take the St. Joe River Road up where there's RV camping all the way along the road and past Avery.  There's also Moon Pass road which connects Wallace and Avery.  Moon Pass Road is a well maintained gravel road with good RV camping along it and a Campground around the middle of it.  Moon Pass road does have a few old railroad tunnels that you have to go through, like the one in the pic, but unless your RV is overly huge, it shouldn't be a problem.

WA-6-1024x576.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 350DirtRider said:

You have several choices for RV camping in the St. Joe area.  There's RV camping around Big Creek and Wallace that you could stage out of or you could go around to St Maries and take the St. Joe River Road up where there's RV camping all the way along the road and past Avery.  There's also Moon Pass road which connects Wallace and Avery.  Moon Pass Road is a well maintained gravel road with good RV camping along it and a Campground around the middle of it.  Moon Pass road does have a few old railroad tunnels that you have to go through, like the one in the pic, but unless your RV is overly huge, it shouldn't be a problem.

WA-6-1024x576.jpg

Do you have a good resource for maps for this area? I wonder if @billdart has any???

8 minutes ago, fbennett12 said:

Do you have a good resource for maps for this area? I wonder if @billdart has any???

You can go to the "Where-to-Ride" section of PANTRA's website and select the Idaho Panhandle Region in the drop down menu on the left or by clicking on the map in the area you want and then selecting "view region" or "view unit".  Clicking on a trail on will give you the trail number, name, and a bunch of other info on that specific trail.  You can also download the KMZ files for the trails at the bottom of the drop down menu.

The other option that I know of is to go to IDPR Trails website and get trail info there (you have to zoom into the area before the trails show up).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 350DirtRider said:

You can go to the "Where-to-Ride" section of PANTRA's website and select the Idaho Panhandle Region in the drop down menu on the left or by clicking on the map in the area you want and then selecting "view region" or "view unit".  Clicking on a trail on will give you the trail number, name, and a bunch of other info on that specific trail.  You can also download the KMZ files for the trails at the bottom of the drop down menu.

The other option that I know of is to go to IDPR Trails website and get trail info there (you have to zoom into the area before the trails show up).

This is great info on the maps! The Pantra site is pretty awesome! Thanks a ton for all of the tips! How many days of riding do think there are in this area? We typically will ride 60-100 miles of single track per day.

10 minutes ago, fbennett12 said:

This is great info on the maps! The Pantra site is pretty awesome! Thanks a ton for all of the tips! How many days of riding do think there are in this area? We typically will ride 60-100 miles of single track per day.

Probably 4 or 5 days of hard riding to cover all the single-track in the Big Creek and North Fork of the St. Joe area (Wallace/Avery drainage).  You would probably need another week to ride the rest of the single-track in the Joe.  However, you would have to be a beast to do 60-100 miles a day of riding, 4 days straight, in the area.  There's very little easy single-track.

• Like 1