Why hit the rev limiter?

Funny... for our monthly newsletter, we're writing about this very topic. ;)

I too never understood doing it, but then again, I've mostly ridden 450cc dirtbikes off-road, where most of the time, I don't need every last fraction of a hp. But, go to most any mx track and riders are doing it off every jump.

• Like 2

If you don't have a lot of traction you will end up running it against the limiter due to wheelspin.  If the bike is still pulling and putting down power its not necessary to upshift, especially in short sections between corners.

Landing jumps under power is just part of running fast laps.  You keep it pinned and get under power again as soon as the bike is back on the ground.  Some riders may be a little lazier than others in terms of just holding it wide open as it doesn't do any good until you're back on the ground unless you're panic revving to correct a nose dive.

Its always been a part of the sport.  People run two strokes the same way, you just don't hear a rev limiter because they don't have them.

• Like 3

The rev limiter is the only thing that sound nice about 4 stroke. The more time you hit it, the better it is.

• Like 2