Hey, I'll buy a motocross this week, but the owner says it has only been 50 hours, I think it looks a bit worn out for just 50 hours. what do you think?

sorry if the english is bad but im living in sweden

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

It's hard to tell. Some guys will spend a lot of time cleaning the outside of a bike before putting it up for sale, while the inside might be trashed. Ask if he kept any maintenance records or parts receipts. Check the air filter and air box for dirt. It looks like some new plastic and old frame wear. It seems like it has seen a lot of mud and water, but that may be normal for Sweden(?). Those 2 skuffs on both sides of the frame downtubes might indicate that the engine was removed at one time. The asking price is also a factor, but it's definitely not in excellent condition.

Just my opinion, but I'd agree that it looks like more than 50 hrs.  I bought a 2012 500 EXC a couple of years ago that had 100 hrs on it and unlike your pictures....mine had no rub marks on either the clutch cover, the stator cover, the swing arms or the lower frame tubes.  The shifter lever in your pics also has considerable wear on the rear underside. The bike in your pics may only have 50 hrs, but I'd say they've been hard hours. I wonder if the bike has new plastic as I don't see how the silencer could have the apparent scrapes without the plastic being marked up.  I agree that you'd need a good inspection of the air box and some legitimate maintenance records.

• Like 1

go with your gut....   I agree with others that it looks like more then 50 hours.   Not that 50 hours is allot but if he is lieing about the hours what else is he lieing about.

Looking at this again, I'd say that the lack of KTM decals/graphics does, indeed, indicate that new plastics were put on the bike. I'd be very skeptical.

• Like 1

IMO putting plastics on an old bike is like painting over rust. To a degree I feel it's misleading. Although it is nice to have new stuff on a bike. For me, it's a waste of money on a bike I'm about to sell, provided they're not busted up with pieces hanging off or missing. I proudly state in any ads for bikes I'm selling that the bike still has the old plastics. I don't paint turds. My money goes to top ends, bearings and maintenance. If that's a red flag for someone, they are looking for the wrong bike.

JMO

That being said, I'll probably buy new for my boy's 2008 KX 107 when I sell it. Still has the same plastics it had when I bought it in '13. They've seen better days. Scratched all to heck and horribly faded. The frame and motor look better than the plastics. Hardly any wear on the shiny silver paint.

50 hours would be an average for a year of riding. That bike looks terrible for 50 hours.

That bike looks like it was ridden hard and probably more than 50 hrs. Few things I spotted were the obvious plastics which means the old/originals were tore up, had numbers on them and the seller probably thought they would hurt sale. Also those A60 excel rims. Usually a casual rider won't put those on, those are nice, tough EXPENSIvE rims that were put on to take some abuse. If it were me I'd pass.