New to Thumper Talk and dirtbikes

Hey guys don't know if I'm posting in the right place or if you already have a thread about this... So if i'm wrong just call me a dumbass.. But I want to get into riding I have a friend who has a quad, who wants to get a bike, and said he would do some trail riding with me but I know nothing about dirtbikes. So just a few questions I was wondering about suggestions about what type of gear I should get, and what type of bike I should start out on??? A few thing I'm only 5'7'' and about 185lbs, so would like a XR250r be a good bike or something like that or should I get something smaller? and I also wear glasses so are there any goggles that work them? and what other gear would I need? Also any tips?

Hey Aard, welcome.  Where do you intend on riding?  The place you ride could bear heavily on the type of bike you get.  What's your price range?  If you are trail riding, I personally would not get an XR250R as they can be a little tall for a beginner.  I have heard good things about the Honda CRF230L as a good beginner bike.  I find wear eyeglasses with a helmet to be uncomfortable. You can get goggles with eyeglass inserts but I didn't like the field of vision.  I wear contact lenses when I ride.   Get a good full face helmet with sun visor (DOT, ECE, or SNELL rated) that fits you well (how to check helmet fit).  I also recommend boots, gloves, and riding pants at a minimum (you can buy them lightly used until you figure out what works best for you but buy a new helmet).

• Like 1

XR250 would be a great starter bike for you.  Get one of the newer models, from about '98 on up, without a hopped up motor.   Very reliable and easy to ride.  Make sure to get all of your protective equipment before you ride.  You will probably need it.  At a minimum, a helmet, goggles, gloves, knee pads, and boots.  Most brands of goggles come with a model for wear with glasses.  They are called OTG (over the glasses).  Shop around the internet for gear on clearance.  It will save you some money.

Welcome to the enablers club. It's an illness. Crf230's are excellent beginners bike's. However, you're a little on the heavier side for it. It's also terrible in the sand. I know, we had one. If you're riding hard pack stuff you should be fine. Great little bike. Hard to kill, and when you grow out of it, usually you can get your money back. Not many bikes can you say that about. Don't get a quad, or we may have to kill you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vegemite_luva said:

Where do you intend on riding?  The place you ride could bear heavily on the type of bike you get.  What's your price range?

So I live in Phoenix,Az. My friend said we could go to like Bartlett Lake, Tonto national forest, and may go up north, sorry don't know much or where we can go I'll ask him and some other friends some more places. My price range I plan on saving around $3000 for a bike and I would like to buy used. 

38 minutes ago, drumiv said:

Crf230's are excellent beginners bike's. However, you're a little on the heavier side for it. 

Well I work as a lifeguard so I'm trying to get my "summer bod" so if I lose some weight would that make it a good option over the bigger xr250?

XR 250 is a good adult beginners bike. The CRF 230 is probably good to.  There is also a Yamaha ttr 230 that is beginner friendly. KDX 200 is also good if you are ok with 2stroke engines. Probably some others that I can't think of right now.

Try sitting on as many different bikes as you can before you commit to a certain one. Once you decide what model you feel comfortable with, buy the best one with an unmodified that you can afford. 

The two most important pieces of riding gear are helmet and boots, you don't need to spend a ton to get stuff that works. Try buy a used set of boots that are already broken in. As others have said, buy a new helmet. Hopefully there are well stocked shops in your area with many different brands to try on. 

Some may disagree with what I'm going to suggest now, but since it sounds like you are a completely new rider, wear some regular work boots on your first couple of riding sessions, so you can get the knack of shifting and braking. It goes without saying to ride in an open area without hidden hazards. When you're comfortable with controlling the bike with riding boots you're ready to hit the trail or track.

Some people will tell you that you need every possible piece of protective equipment available to ride. I disagree, but won't stand in anyone's way of doing so if they want. 

I'm fine with a good helmet/goggles, boots and gloves. For short casual rides in good conditions jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt are ok. When things get more serious it's time for for more and better gear.

Every piece of riding gear you can afford your body will love you for it! Don't even think about riding without a helmet, I've seen so so many new riders get throttle locked and go til they hit something!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aardvark1 said:

So I live in Phoenix,Az. My friend said we could go to like Bartlett Lake, Tonto national forest, and may go up north, sorry don't know much or where we can go I'll ask him and some other friends some more places. My price range I plan on saving around $3000 for a bike and I would like to buy used. 

Well I work as a lifeguard so I'm trying to get my "summer bod" so if I lose some weight would that make it a good option over the bigger xr250?

Can't speak on the XR, but I'm sure it's a great bike, it's a Honda! You'll be fine on the 230, especially if you loose a little weight. You can usually pick one up in the $1300-1600 range('05ish).  I have all top-of-the-line gear, but bought it used(mostly), you'll save a ton of money, and have the best(recommended). Check on ebay. I liked the suggestion on not getting mx boats right away. They take a lot of getting used to, but are a big priority. Helmet, don't load your bike in the truck without one. Good luck, it's a great sport that you can enjoy a long time. I started when I was about 16. Now I'm 58.

Edited by drumiv

XR 250>crf 230. 

The Xr is what the crf 230 wishes it was.  Get an xr, or anything other than a 230, whether it's a Honda or Yamaha.  They suck, and will hurt you bad the minute you try to get a little aggresive on it.  If it were me I'd be looking for a KDX 200, great bikes, easy to ride, low maintenance, and hold their value.  

• Like 1

XR250R in this case IMO. It can grow with you from the most friendly bike built, as you learn to ride, you can add stiffer springs, BBK, pumper carbs and even electric start if you want it.

• Like 1

I would recommend a Yamaha wr250 for a good starter bike, not too powerfull not to weak.  They have e-start and a kick start, you will appreciate the electric start while learning to use the clutch.  A wr would last you for a long time, they can be enjoyable to ride at any skill level.  It will give you a good feel for a (full sized bike) I guess I would call it.  Most riders ride a 250f,250t,or 450f if you went from a 250/230 air cooled engine to any of those you would be in for a surprise. Wear a helmet, gloves, boots and knee guards.