Fork oil level and preload

So I'm getting my forks back together (finally) and I'm looking for some input from some folks who've spent some time tuning these.

For starters what are folks running for oil levels? I think the manual specs something like 130mm but I'm more interested in if there are better numbers for real world results. (I ride really nasty rocky rooty terrain)

Second to that question, but in the same vein of trying to soften up the top of the stroke I'm interested in reducing the spring preload. Seems the easiest route would be to replace this giant washer that sits on the lands of the cartridge at the bottom of the spring. It would seem I should be able to replace it with a regular thin washer, my only question is, why does the stock washer have a groove cut around the inner diameter? It seems like the only purpose that groove serves is to allow the washer to float around a bunch. If I flip it over to the other side where theres no groove cut it fits just nicely with a little play. I'm just wondering if I'd need to cut the same groove in a regular washer if I put it in.

Oil level will only affect the last part of your travel so tune as needed based on its characteristics. I'd start with compression adjustments but if you're not getting desired results (bottoming resistance) without negatively affecting initial/mid stroke, try adding 10-15mm.

Just mill your stock spacer down to get 4mm preload (recommended to me by Race Tech).

• Like 1

On 06/04/2017 at 4:33 AM, gr4vitas said:

So I'm getting my forks back together (finally) and I'm looking for some input from some folks who've spent some time tuning these.

For starters what are folks running for oil levels? I think the manual specs something like 130mm but I'm more interested in if there are better numbers for real world results. (I ride really nasty rocky rooty terrain)

Second to that question, but in the same vein of trying to soften up the top of the stroke I'm interested in reducing the spring preload. Seems the easiest route would be to replace this giant washer that sits on the lands of the cartridge at the bottom of the spring. It would seem I should be able to replace it with a regular thin washer, my only question is, why does the stock washer have a groove cut around the inner diameter? It seems like the only purpose that groove serves is to allow the washer to float around a bunch. If I flip it over to the other side where theres no groove cut it fits just nicely with a little play. I'm just wondering if I'd need to cut the same groove in a regular washer if I put it in.

The rebate on the inner of the large washer is so it its flat as the spring perch, it's not a square edge. Yes use a thinner washer and die grind in this bevel so it sits flat. Personally I think a shim shuffle is needed as well. 

MM

On April 5, 2017 at 1:33 PM, gr4vitas said:

Good question, assuming this is for Sachs forks - Are most of you guys using the 130mm level - leaving the washer non modified?

On 4/8/2017 at 5:19 AM, MartyMOOSE said:

The rebate on the inner of the large washer is so it its flat as the spring perch, it's not a square edge. Yes use a thinner washer and die grind in this bevel so it sits flat. Personally I think a shim shuffle is needed as well. 

MM

If you flip the spacer over so the grooved side is facing up, it still sits flat. Thats kind of what I'm getting at, doesn't seem like it serves any purpose.

8 hours ago, gr4vitas said:

If you flip the spacer over so the grooved side is facing up, it still sits flat. Thats kind of what I'm getting at, doesn't seem like it serves any purpose.

Been a while since i had my sachs apart I have SSS now. I know for sure I had to grid a relief in the washer I replaced the std spacer with. I though the std washer also sat proud the wrong way up but maybe I'm wrong for the first time :):);)

MM