YZ250FX TIRES?

I like the Dunlop AT81 rear with a dunlop MX3 front for variable conditions like you describe. If it's going to be all sand or majority deep mud I go with a dedicated sand/mud tire but for a little bit of everything I like the 81 and MX3 combo. If you liked the stock AT81's front and rear I'd go and run that though, because I don't think you'll find too many combos out there for your conditions that will give you 30+ hours.

You're gonna get a different answer from everyone.

i run Goldentyre GT216 90/90 up front as well as Starcross 5 soft or medium in 90/100.

on my Tubliss rear I run Sedona 907 or IRC M5B typically. I'm going to test a Shinko 505 cheater soon.

On my spare rear wheel running a tube I use a Starcross 5 Medium. That is for MX tracks or if I am running a softer, loamy track.

Stock Dunlop set up on the FX blows, especially the front which is garbage in my opinion. I ran the front for maybe 5 hours tops and junked it. 

I would say the Sedona 907 with Tubliss is an awesome combo for mixed terrain with rocks, roots, hardpack and nothing too soft or muddy. It does fine in the mud but not my first choice for soupy soft conditions. At 4 or 5psi it rocks and lasts forever.

if you do a lot of climbs the M5B is hard to beat.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, skidoorules_98 said:

I use s12 front, irc m5b rear for racing. Kick ass combo.

If you have not tried the M12 front I highly suggest it over the S12 front, blows it away. 

11 hours ago, skidoorules_98 said:

I use s12 front, irc m5b rear for racing. Kick ass combo.

The new Starcross 5 blows the old S/M12 out of the water.

12 hours ago, oovula said:

Need a new set of tires, I ride east coast WV and OH woods trail riding.  Terrain is anything from hardpack rocks to mudd and everything in between.  My stock tires only lasted 30 hrs, I was told the Michelin  S12 XC are a good option.   Any suggestions?

30 hours is pretty good out of a tire if you ride hard and fast.

• Like 1

I'm a little concerned the S12 will be too soft for some of the harder pack trails and get chewed up quick, maybe the M12 will be better all around.... my buddy runs S12 on his KTM 300 and swears by it but most his hair scramble riding is on softer terrain.

Ill be honest I don't know what most of this tire abbreviations are... lol

also thinking of running these?

IMG_1583.JPG

Edited by oovula
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ckny said:

[...]

on my Tubliss rear I run Sedona 907 or IRC M5B typically.

[...]

Do you use either one for all terrain?  I thought the M5B was mainly a tire for softer conditions and the 907 for harder conditions but I've found that some tires work very well in conditions other than those they are advertised for.

Have you tried the Bridgestone Battlecross X40?  If so, how did the rear compare to the M5B and 907?

I run the TUbliss system and seriously I wouldn't run anything else!  you can run completely different tires than you would with a tube or mousse.  Like said above, you can run the Sedona 907 which is normally a budget tire but with TUbliss at 5psi, it performs better than most high end tires.

Right now I'm running the Bridgestone M59 up front (8-9psi) and Dunlop AT81RC rear (4-5 psi) and this combo has been exceptional so far with the TUbliss system.

On April 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Max17 said:

Do you use either one for all terrain?  I thought the M5B was mainly a tire for softer conditions and the 907 for harder conditions but I've found that some tires work very well in conditions other than those they are advertised for.

Have you tried the Bridgestone Battlecross X40?  If so, how did the rear compare to the M5B and 907?

I think those 2 tires are actually great all condition tires. The X40 wears quickly and does not work as well as Tubliss.

• Like 1

On April 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM, IronUA said:

I wouldn't run the M5B It works good in soft dirt but in roots it sucks. the S12 rear is good, VE33 is great, MX3S dunlop is good, skinko cheater 505 is great in the rear but you lose a little in the braking and handling if youre racing the bike.

Works great at 4-5psi on roots with Tubliss. Majority of what I ride is roots.

The Golden tire 216AA "Fatty"  90/100/21 is what Graham Jarvis rides for a reason.  This tire with tubliss is a confidence inspiring weapon.  I have always loved S12's but they wear out too quickly. The M5b rules in mud.  But - I have recently found that the Shinko 505 cheater is the money for a rear tire in technical single track - with tubliss of course!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, oovula said:

So I bought the Michelin and the MotoSport recommended size to match stock was 130/80/18 but it's significantly narrower than the stock tire... what size should I go with the next time to get that wider tire like stock?  

140 is the largest. Did you mount it or are you just basing the size difference off of an Unmounted tire?