'14 350 XC-F Fan kit

I have a 2014 350 XC-F. Trying to get a fan kit on it. Got the KTm kit and t urns out they sent me (rocky mountain) the kit for the XC-FW or whatever thats called. It requires wires I dont have as well as a bung on the bottom of the right radiator that again, I dont have. I spent about an hour at a large stealership yesterday trying to figure this out. They said (and called KTM support) that you need the "digital fan kit" + 2 seperate wiring hardness adaptors to get a fan on the XC-F. Or can I just use a trail tech kit? The original kit I got was o nly about $115, but the new 3 part thing from KTM is 200ish or a trail tech for mid 150's. What is the right answer here?

THanks,

John

Lot's of people have added a fan to the XCF but it's not plug and play. I'm sure MOG will post a response with the right answer shortly. He's the guru on the 350

Lol I know nothing on fans or off road mods

• Like 1

A digital fan kit from Trailtech is a plug and play. A pigtail goes directly to the battery, the fan bolts to the radiator and that's it. You set the temperature of when you want the fan coming on using a couple little buttons but after that she's pretty painless. A small probe is used in amongst the radiator fins to determine how hot the bike is and when the fan needs to come on... 

• Like 1

Monk's post is right. The day after I wrote this question I spent about a half an hour at KTM dealer north of indy. A guy took the time to even call the KTM tech line to figure it out. If you use the KTM parts you have to have the fan kit and TWO wiring harnesses to maek it work on an XC. If you have an EXC/XC-W you can use the basic $115 fine. For the XC's its about 200 worth of stuff for the ktm way. Thats why people just use the trail tech kit. Be sure to get on the trail tech site to make sure you get the right one though. They ahve serveral versions.

9 hours ago, robrm250 said:

Get the Trail Tech one,works great.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I came to this one..Go easy on me, its my 1st bike ever:

Do these fans work efficiently?..or will I still have to shut down my 2015 (brand new) 350 XC-F at times in the woods when (and if) it overheats?..Basically, what I'm saying, is this a 100% fix?..I had a bad experience in the woods the other day when in (only) 75 degree weather I was forced to crawl out of the woods in 30 sec bursts until I got out and rode home on the shoulder of a major thoroughfare, completely illegal, to cool it down and get home.

1 hour ago, mallai said:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I came to this one..Go easy on me, its my 1st bike ever:

Do these fans work efficiently?..or will I still have to shut down my 2015 (brand new) 350 XC-F at times in the woods when (and if) it overheats?..Basically, what I'm saying, is this a 100% fix?..I had a bad experience in the woods the other day when in (only) 75 degree weather I was forced to crawl out of the woods in 30 sec bursts until I got out and rode home on the shoulder of a major thoroughfare, completely illegal, to cool it down and get home.

100% fix

Were you riding at speed or just crawling in 1st 2nd gear? It shouldn't over heat by just riding it.

i run engine ice and my 350 is very hard to overheat, even in the woods on 90+ days...  i bought the trail tech kit and ended up reselling it as new/never installed.

8 hours ago, mallai said:

I run engine ice also,it was 85 degrees here today and hot,did 40 plus miles of tight knarly single track.I run a decent pace so my fan only comes on when I stop,have it set at 195 degrees.The fan when stopped would climb from 186 to 195 slowly then fan comes on for 15 seconds maybe cools it down to 186 again does this 2 or 3 times for no longer then 15 seconds at a time,then the engine starts cooling down on its own,again this is when stopping and taking a break after a good hour of hard riding.On cooler days in the 70 degree mark the fan never comes on,the fan definetly cures all overheating issues.

• Like 1

I have a 15 35 xcf and ride a lot of woods/ "goat trails" A level rider and the fan is a must on my bike. Mainly when I'm riding with other people. I did not want to put it on my bike due to just more stuff on it but I found that it's a must for woods riding.

Just a side note... expensive learning lesson and trail tech could not confirm this or anywhere I looked so I'll put this out there. You cannot drill the holes to mount the fan in the mylers radiators .

• Like 2

Thanks for the very informative replies..I've ordered both ICE and a Trail Tech..If this doesn't work I'm going back to full time mt biking!  :ride:

It will. For the super tight stuff I have it set at 155-160 because the bike gets hotter faster than the sensor does. In the dessert I set at 185.

• Like 1

yes, there is sometimes an issue with the fan fitting with some radiator braces though. I have the unibikers on mine and because of the brace on the back side mid way up, had to do some dremeling of the fan kit. works fine, and its lighter!