Michelin starcross 5 tires?

Gonna throw on some new tires for riding soon. Just wondering if anyone had experiences good/bad with michelin starcross 5 tires. I ride trails, and the majority of them are rocky and mostly hard pack. So Im looking into starcross 5 medium or hard terrain tires. Any and all information/preferences would be nice :).

Is your rear wheel a 18" or 19" ? 

By memory the hard terrain Starcross 5 isn't available in 18".

I too was considering Michelins for my CRF250X, (always run them on my YZ)

but the new Starcross 5 series seem better suited for motocross.

(limited longetivity, soft carcass)

Edited by mlatour

12 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Is your rear wheel a 18" or 19" ? 

By memory the hard terrain Starcross 5 isn't available in 18".

I too was considering Michelins for my CRF250X, (always run them on my YZ)

but the new Starcross 5 series seem better suited for motocross.

(limited longetivity, soft carcass)

I have a yz450f myself. 120/80- 19 rear 19 inch rim as you know I bet lol. The tires medium and hard compound are available for my rim size. What do you ride on your YZ, motocross or trails? Because the life of the tire is my second biggest concern coming in after the traction of course. like I said the stuff I ride is mostly rocky and rough. So if the tires cant hold their own for a reasonable amount of time.... :/

My YZ125 is strickly track ridden, 

on the exclusively soft, loamy, sandy tracks where I ride I've found the older Starcross 3, MS3 & MH3 give me the front end 'feel' I like

(harder carcass, doesn't roll over when cornering), wear isn't a concern, I can go a few seasons on a set of tires

plus have stocked up on an extra set since they are likely to eventualy be discontinued since the new 5's are out.

I'm new to trail riding on a CRF250X since last season, up to now about 1600kms of mostly rocky trails with sections of paved connecting roads mixed in.

The bike came with almost new Kenda Washougal intermediate terrain tires which I found less than confidence inspiring at anything beyond

slow technical sections (especially the front / washouts). 

By 1300kms the rear was more than halfway worn and the front's knobs well rounded off.

Going by the many reviews, opinions from a fellow rider and their reputation on TT and other forums,

I replaced them with a set of good-old-nothing-fancy, trusty Maxxis Maxxcross IT's, 

specifically the Desert IT 90/100-21 front (upsized from a 80/100) and regular IT rear.

At first the tighter knob thread pattern didn't inspire me confidence for the occasion soft or muddy trail sections encountered

but that quickly got proven otherwise.  (the only time I lost front end traction is when riding on a snow covered wooden bridge)

These are perhaps not the very best choice for any specific terrain but work well in just about anything,

plus are tough and durable. I find they give a predictable feedback no matter what type of terrain.

Fortnine has decent prices in Canada.

Edited by mlatour

From what I've heard the starcross 5 is a great tire in everything except rocks and roots.

Maybe they were using the wrong compound or something, but they just weren't a fan.

Not from my actual experience but rather from tests & reviews I read on the new Starcross 5's.

(USA and Europe based tests)

In the past, the previous Starcross 3's were known to have predictable traction from brand new to just about the time to replace them.

(an often read quote was "a worn Michelin is often still better than a brand new tire of lesser quality".

The new 5 series on the other hand seem more race oriented like Dunlop

reviews have noticed they have better initial traction than the older 3's but their performance also 'falls off' faster as they wear.

(race tire = meant to be replaced at shorter intervals versus the common recreational rider's tire life expectancy)

Plus, versus the 3's they've since gone to less plys / thinner sidewalls, a consideration for off-roading.

Edited by mlatour

The Maxxcross IT, it seems everyone says its a good tire for all terrain. And wears slowly too, which is always a plus.  I suppose tires are kind of a preference thing like you got enduro riders using soft mx59's from bridgestone, and also people using hard terrain tires in sand.... <-- a little far fetched?. Anywho.. im trying to find a tire that takes a beating and doesnt need to be replaced anytime soon. Maybe ill end up running Maxxcross IT's? 

• Like 1

The Maxxcross IT, it seems everyone says its a good tire for all terrain. And wears slowly too, which is always a plus.  I suppose tires are kind of a preference thing like you got enduro riders using soft mx59's from bridgestone, and also people using hard terrain tires in sand....

If I were primarily riding woods, the Pirelli Extra X is a great, long life, tire for a descent price.
I've just bought a Goldentyre, but have yet to try it.
  • Like 1

My usual go to tires are the Maxxis Desert IT's and I run the 19" rear at 2 to 12 PSI depending on time of year.

I put on the Starcross 5 HARDS last summer to try in hard dry rocky terrain. I never really liked the front and the back was OK BUT they are super long lasting tires but very specific tires as you can see from the tread pattern.

20160604_143933.thumb.jpg.01d23acbeb33f2f941b437b232eb3d96.jpg

20160604_143905.thumb.jpg.e0e5176e685d633b1d2d6b2244eae555.jpg

I have a # of bud's using the Intermittent and I would go with IF I went with a StarCross 5 again.

As I will always say, too many tires, not enough $$ and you really have to buy them and try them yourself for where and how you ride.