Spark Arrestor Dilemma

Just bought a 2006 RMZ 450 a few months back and runs great. After the first ride however my friends noticed some sparks within my exhaust and after further examination I have no spark arrestor. The exhaust is a Leo Vince x3 slip on (and header) and after doing some internet searching and finally calling leo vince it turns out they no longer make this exhaust or parts for it. I found a small shop or 2 on the internet that potentially sell the spark arrestor, for 56$.

Should I spend the $56 and do it right? The guy at the local Honda dealer (only shop in town) suggested that I just go by a screen that will hold up to the temperature and create my own spark arrestor (not USFS approved). On the other extreme, I could just blow a few hundred dollars and throw some money at a nice FMF slip on, maybe even a header. But will any slip on fit any header?

Decisions, decisions.......

Edited by TwistedRutt

If the spark arrestor for your existing system is the $56 that you said some vendors have, and it's a legit usfs approved unit just get it, unless there is is some compelling reason that you want to replace everything. 

I know the homemade screen will work if done correctly, but if you are in an area that has high fire hazard, or where the local forest or public lands authorities actually check for such things, you are much better off with one with legit markings on it. 

On a different note, why is it shooting sparks regularly? I've been working with engines my whole life, and in most cases engines that do that have bad tunes, or are malfunctioning in some way that makes them run rich.  Notable exceptions are tuned wankles and turbo cars with anti lag and/or real short exhaust pipes. 

I haven't noticed because I'm the one riding but the guys I was riding with said they could see sparks/flame inside the exhaust. I'm guessing it's when I twist the throttle hard and then just let off. It was also our last ride for the day so it was a bit darker then usual daylight. More noticeable maybe?

X2 on the stainless mesh. I had to rig one up on my yoshimura pipe. Even being in California, it has been checked multiple times and passed every time. If you can find the right one and have the money laying around, I would go that route though, just for piece of mind that it is the "right" part in there. I wouldn't change the exhaust unless you want to make it look a little fresher or something. Generally speaking, a slip on is designed for the stock header and many will not fir aftermarket headers. For example, just a a yoshimura slip on will not fit a header for a complete yoshimura system. It May be different in your case, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk of spending hundreds on something that may not work. Generally from my experience, sparks are caused by running too lean or too rich or valves being out of adjustment. Too lean and you will have raspy backfires on deceleration, too rich and you will just have flames/sparks. Maladjusted valves because it is letting some fuel out during the combustion stroke. The "sparks" Are caused by unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust pipes, sometimes the flame can come in contact with the muffler packing and it will burn, resembling what looks like sparks. All bikes have "sparks" from time to time, so it's nothing you should be concerned about as long as it is tuned properly, valve clearance is in spec, and as long as you get a spark arrestor on there to prevent fires.

So I called one of the vendors and they said that they don't have any even though it is listed in their site. So if making my own is the next best option where is the best place to get stainless mesh that I can make fit my exhaust tip?

So I called one of the vendors and they said that they don't have any even though it is listed in their site. So if making my own is the next best option where is the best place to get stainless mesh that I can make fit my exhaust tip?

I had a similar problem finding 05-06 RMZ450 works connection radiator braces. They don't make them anymore, and the couple places that said they had them, didn't actually have them. Pretty much any hardware store will have it. I actually recommend getting a stainless strainer for the drain on a kitchen sink. it already has a a nice curve to it, just cut the outside to fit and sandwich it in there. The one in the picture will run you 4.99 on amazon. IMG_0517.JPG

I had a similar problem finding 05-06 RMZ450 works connection radiator braces. They don't make them anymore, and the couple places that said they had them, didn't actually have them. Pretty much any hardware store will have it. I actually recommend getting a stainless strainer for the drain on a kitchen sink. it already has a a nice curve to it, just cut the outside to fit and sandwich it in there. The one in the picture will run you 4.99 on amazon. IMG_0517.JPG.36c429cc47533bcb9987d031edb647b2.JPG

Thank you sir. I really appreciate the help! I'll be working on that today or tomorrow so I can ride without a worry this week.

On another note I've never bought an exhaust system for a bike before. Always just ran what I had. Does a full system actually make a noticeable difference for an average rider?

Thank you sir. I really appreciate the help! I'll be working on that today or tomorrow so I can ride without a worry this week.

On another note I've never bought an exhaust system for a bike before. Always just ran what I had. Does a full system actually make a noticeable difference for an average rider?

It's a long debated subject if they actually do anything significant, according to the official dyno numbers, there is a noticeable difference than a stock exhaust (amount varies by bike) most pipes uncork them just a little bit in one particular end of the spectrum, being low end, mid, or top end. Yoshimura tends to bank on top end, for the above average guys who bounce off the rev limiter from time to time, while a company like FMF, aiming more on bottom end numbers. On the rmz's in particular, you can definitely tell with your butt dyno. Of course the sound is a big mental thing too. If it sounds louder and more powerful, it must be faster. For a beginner to intermediate guy, it may not help mechanically all that much, but I know it can make a lot of guys just a little more confident on the track which is a big thing. For the advanced and pro guys, it can definitely make a difference on the track when lap times are being separated by hundredths of a second and championships can be determined by inches.