6'3 200lbs on a 250f???

I rode dirt bikes until I was 13 and was very comfortable on my bikes. I lost interest in my teens because of other sports. I just turned 30. Recently I have had a burning desire to get a bike and get into some beginner races. I know myself and the racing will start out for fun until I get comfortable again. At that point my competiveness will come out and I will want to win. 

I will be buying a new bike. With my ht and wt would a 250f be enough bike to keep my competive? Or would I be better off just jumping straight on a 450? 

Once I get the bike, which ever one that may be, what mods/upgrades do you all suggest? Not trying to break the bank on this. Just looking into what are some basic upgrades? 

Thanks for any and all advice/criticism.

Edited by Tnlaxer369

I've ridden plenty of 250fs and at 215lbs I never wanted more power.  Especially to start racing again. 450 can get you into trouble too quick.  

Old guys like the 450s because they have so much power and torque, they can tractor around the whole track in 3rd gear only. The 250F has plenty of power to pull you around, but you will have to switch gears. 

Mods: To each their own. I don't think they really need any. Each are more than capable. Its more rider skill than bike. There's a guy at my track that races a 1985 CR125 in the 40+ class, and he whips most of the field on it. 

Edited by Rockinar

9 hours ago, Rockinar said:

Old guys like the 450s because they have so much power and torque, they can tractor around the whole track in 3rd gear only. The 250F has plenty of power to pull you around, but you will have to switch gears. 

Mods: To each their own. I don't think they really need any. Each are more than capable. Its more rider skill than bike. There's a guy at my track that races a 1985 CR125 in the 40+ class, and he whips most of the field on it. 

Thanks. I don't mind the shifting. I also would like to use all the bike instead of three gears lol. 

Edited by Tnlaxer369

1 hour ago, XRalways said:

If you are buying new, look at the YZF or YZFX. The 250f motor has a tonne of pull.

That's exactly what I'm looking at. That white and red yz250f is bad!!

I'm the same size and ride a 14 YZ250F. It pulls me fine. I did add stage 2 cams for longer pull on top though.

Suspension wise, 14 was the stiffest of the new gen's and it's too soft for me. If I go short or long it bottoms. It's been motivation for me to drop a few pounds.

5 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I'm the same size and ride a 14 YZ250F. It pulls me fine. I did add stage 2 cams for longer pull on top though.

Suspension wise, 14 was the stiffest of the new gen's and it's too soft for me. If I go short or long it bottoms. It's been motivation for me to drop a few pounds.

How much did the cams set you back and where did you get them from?

I rode a yz250f 06 , it felt gutless and under powered to me and I'm 225lb and 6 3. Then I rode a 02 crf450r, holysh**. It had balls and fit me extremely well so I bought it. This was my first dirtbike I've ever owned in my life and I'm not looking back. 450 is king in my book. 250 is underpowered for my 225lb frame. I'm comfortable with the power and love it, if your not then go with a smaller displacement. Best advice is ride a few different bikes and make your choice based on how you feel, that's what I did.