Is gear different than it was 10 years ago?

Just curious... I have been using a pair of motocross pants I bought 10 years ago...  I recently bought a new pair of Fox pants https://fortnine.ca/en/fox-racing-180-race-pants-2016

I noticed right away how much lighter they are. My old ones weigh a ton compared to these things. The material is so much thinner and more tightly woven it seems, too. And the buckle system on it.. thinner harder plastic. Seems cheaper.

Is this just the way stuff is made nowadays?

Edited by YZ144FirstTimer

It is all about fashion these days. My older gear is generally better made and more durable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikedabike said:

It is all about fashion these days. My older gear is generally better made and more durable.

Yep.  My Thor Phase gear that I still have as a spare is probably near 10 years old, it is indestructible, but very heavy.  That stuff has been through numerous crashes including a couple broken bones and it still is perfect, albeit a little stained.

• Like 2

Yeah mx gloves are a joke. I use lighter duty street gloves these days. I bought a pair of Fox Bombers which are pretty pricy for a dirt glove and they were falling apart after 3 or 4 rides.

• Like 1

Good reason why I consider my helmet, boots, and mechanic gloves, and sometimes chestprotector my 'gear'. Like I give a hoot about what I look like. Thought riding was just for fun anyway.

It seems like gear companies are making multiple products for different price points. I've bought 50 dollar gear sets that fell apart in less than a season, and 150 dollar pants that are heavy and well made.  Used to be they made pants, they were good, now they are flooding the market and you get what you pay for.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berm-Saw said:

Good reason why I consider my helmet , boots , and mechanic gloves, and sometimes chestprotector my 'gear'. Like I give a hoot about what I look like. Thought riding was just for fun anyway.

Sometimes chest protector, huh?  You got it all wrong if you think the majority of us care what we look like, PROTECTION.

low speed crash, just messing around, didn't wear his chest protector.  3 internal stitches, 7 to close it up.  Brand new lever, shit happens, an ounce of prevention bro.  

image.jpg

• Like 2

That sucks but I think of it more for back protection. Did you see the vid of the jessy nelson crash? Guy is paralyzed from just going down in a corner, feel bad for him. A CP would have saved him I think. And all the pros continue to not wear them. I can't figure that one out

Shopping oinline makes it tough to know if you are getting quality or not and the bike stores arent carrying motocross gear as much. I figured Fox was a quality product but it seems so thin.. I just assumed thats the way things are going.. light but stronger? Maybe not. My old MSR pants are heavy and last a few years before the nylon started tearing in places. Time will tell how long these last.

3 hours ago, YZ144FirstTimer said:

Shopping oinline makes it tough to know if you are getting quality or not and the bike stores arent carrying motocross gear as much. I figured Fox was a quality product but it seems so thin.. I just assumed thats the way things are going.. light but stronger? Maybe not. My old MSR pants are heavy and last a few years before the nylon started tearing in places. Time will tell how long these last.

A few months back I bought some gear online on closeout.  It was Scott gear, they are only marketing their gear in Europe now, so the US stuff was closeout.  I got a complete set, pants and jersey for $40.  The jersey is light and very comfortable and the pants seem to be very heavy duty.  I was lucky I guess taking a shot in the dark like that, I didn't even know Scott made gear.  At least I never see anyone with the same gear, not even the same brand. :D

6 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

A few months back I bought some gear online on closeout.  It was Scott gear, they are only marketing their gear in Europe now, so the US stuff was closeout.  I got a complete set, pants and jersey for $40.  The jersey is light and very comfortable and the pants seem to be very heavy duty.  I was lucky I guess taking a shot in the dark like that, I didn't even know Scott made gear.  At least I never see anyone with the same gear, not even the same brand. :D

I have been running a set of Scott pants since last summer. They are holding up well.

Only issue i see is one puncture in the left lower leg. But the cross stitching has stopped it from tearing. 

That sucks but I think of it more for back protection. Did you see the vid of the jessy nelson crash? Guy is paralyzed from just going down in a corner, feel bad for him. A CP would have saved him I think. And all the pros continue to not wear them. I can't figure that one out

a lot of them wear under the jersey type chest protectors

I just got back (well, 6 months or so ago) to dirt bikes after 25 odd years away, and I was shocked at the lack of gear now. Boots seem ok, and helmets are much the same, but everything else seems so light and flimsy. The best cp i could get was the fox airframe (which I've tested a few times already) but it isn't anything like the big tough protectors of old. Gloves? They tried to sell me some knitted things that felt like $3 gardening gloves. Where the h*ll is the padding? I ended up with some motard gloves with knuckle and finger protection. Pants have velcro in pads for hips and nothing else. etc etc.

I would have thought we'd have crazy stuff by now....but I guess no one crashes anymore.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DEATH_INC. said:

I just got back (well, 6 months or so ago) to dirt bikes after 25 odd years away, and I was shocked at the lack of gear now. Boots seem ok, and helmets are much the same, but everything else seems so light and flimsy. The best cp i could get was the fox airframe (which I've tested a few times already) but it isn't anything like the big tough protectors of old. Gloves? They tried to sell me some knitted things that felt like $3 gardening gloves. Where the h*ll is the padding? I ended up with some motard gloves with knuckle and finger protection. Pants have velcro in pads for hips and nothing else. etc etc.

I would have thought we'd have crazy stuff by now....but I guess no one crashes anymore.

New stuff is shitty... and expensive.. I like klim gear..but even that doesn't last as long as some old stuff..but it's quality.. sort of boring though.. I guess they want they stuff to break so you buy a new one.. The good thing is that there's a huge selection of different gear online. The chest protectors are crap.. I have an old acerbis xxl that is falling apart but the design is decent... they don't  make them anymore.. I had some old msr chest protector from the mid 80's that was better.. I'm even been thinking of making my own.. looking at some wide receiver shoulder pads and figure out front and rear protection.. been looking on ebay at what's available...but I just hope that some company will just make something better.

10 years not really but 20 years? plenty of change. We have definitely more to choose from today and more affordable, besides probably the biggest progress was made with termoactive and light yet still strong gear.

• Like 1

My Troy Lee Designs chest protector has been holding up well. There are far more choices today for quality gear and cheap gear. There are more choices for light, vented hot weather gear and heavier duty gear...KLIM stuff is durable...gotta do your homework...few shops can afford to stock all the options that are for sale online.

I still run an HRP chest protector. The basic design is more than 20y/o and the only one I've seen with suspended webbing in the shoulders

I use an EVS F2 chest protector. I am happy with it. 

It is holding up well. No quality issues in a little over a year of hard use.