I was just wondering what you all think of a 520exc. Are there any problems mechanically and are they a nice bike for road use? what is a good price?

I had a 2001 520 EXC I took on and off road from day one I bought it new. I never had any issues with it as a dual sport. One thing I would say you would have to watch is the water seal around the camshaft will go bad and can only be replaced a few times before warring a grove in the camshaft. Also if you take the valve cover off make sure and rivet the auto decompression nut if it's not already. There was a recall as the nut can come lose and fall off. This happened to me before they recalled them. But chances are it's already been done. Hard to say abut price I sold mine this year for 1k I might have been able to get more but it was to a friend and that's what he offered.

I've been using a 2002 520 EXC for dual sport for about 4 months now. Purchased for $1800 locally and immediately had to replace water pump seal and cam. Since it was apart I did a tear down and rebuild just to make sure everything else was good. I put about another $400 into it. It's only been about 4 months but it's been a great short range dual sport and is a blast to ride. I documented the rebuild here: http://www.arizonadualsportriders.com/2002-ktm-520-exc-project/ and have a bunch of riding videos on it here: 

• Like 2

I ride a 2002 520 EXC, dirt only and absolutely love it. Plenty of power and great in the tight single track.

I've been using a 2002 520 EXC for dual sport for about 4 months now. Purchased for $1800 locally and immediately had to replace water pump seal and cam. Since it was apart I did a tear down and rebuild just to make sure everything else was good. I put about another $400 into it. It's only been about 4 months but it's been a great short range dual sport and is a blast to ride. I documented the rebuild here: http://www.arizonadualsportriders.com/2002-ktm-520-exc-project/ and have a bunch of riding videos on it here: 

What tank is that?

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, mjepps72 said:

KTM Desert Tank 3.4 gallon

Good to know mine came with 2 of them I thought they were aftermarket