shorty packing?

Quick question for you guys... what are you using to pack your silencers? I have an FMF Shorty on my bike.

I see stuff that looks like yellowish fiber glass... and stuff that looks stringy... and the premade cartridges. Any consensus on what lasts longer?

I bought a YZ250 last April and the Pro Circuit silencer that came with the bike desperately needed to be re-packed. I bought the FMF 2 stroke silencer packing (yellowish fiber glass) and re-packed it. I don't think I've seen or heard of people using anything else to re-pack 2 stroke silencers but I would be interested to find out if there is something better/more effective. Are the other options you are seeing for 2 strokes or 4 strokes? 

I use this in all silencers. It's dense, don't wrap tight. Also use a cloth/paper medical tape to hold together. Many just use masking tape. IMG_5964.thumb.PNG.1126f21c423fa2f3a0cf46eb80826efe.PNG

• Like 2

This is probably a dumb question but will repacking make my stock pipe quieter?

It most certainly can if your packing is in bad shape, it will also give you back a little more power.
  • Like 1

Ok thanks I'll order some packing tonight, I ride in a neighborhood when I'm just playing around so I try to keep it quiet lol

Ok thanks I'll order some packing tonight, I ride in a neighborhood when I'm just playing around so I try to keep it quiet lol

The tighter it is packed, the quieter it will be. Ensure now, that you don't need to drill out any rivets, if you do, add those onto the order.

Household insulation works fine for two strokes, and you can buy a lifetime supply for like $22.  It does not last as long as some of the denser aftermarket stuff, but I prefer it because I like to keep the perforated core of my silencer clean, and the interval with household insulation seems about right.

Whatever packing you use, just put a couple of loops of masking tape around it to hold it in place.

To clean the perforated core, heat the carbon with a plumber torch and let it cool.  It will easily scrape off with a wire brush.

If you are really concerned about noise, you have to lose that shorty.

Keep on smoking! 

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2