WTF am I doing wrong here!?!

ok, this is getting annoying.

I am on tube #4 now.  not fun driving 2 hours, riding for 15 mins and popping a $40 tube every day.

stock excel rim. 1 missing spoke.  no burrs on the rim, no major bends. run at about 10-15 PSI.

I was using an old studded tire, on the dry ground.  there IS a liner in it so the tube doesnt touch the screw heads. the rimlock is a little worn.

I went for 3 rides in a row, and within 15 mins, I had a flat each time. Pinch flat I believe.  (one ride 5/6 bikes got flats..... riding too hard on rocky terrain I guess)

am I running too low of a PSI and pinching it?  or is the rim lock and traction from the studs spinning the tire on the rim, and ripping my valve stem out?

on the plus side... I rode for 45 km hard on a flat tire. the tire somehow didnt come off the rim, and im faster than half my buddies still while riding on a flat!!! I co uld feel it slipping towards the end, badly. basically had no rim lock left after that ride haha.

after 3, ultra heavy duty SDI 4mm tubes at $40 a pop. I am now back to using my old tubliss system... which also leaks flat through the 100PSI valve stem hole over a period of 24 hours. brand new gen2 rim tape. clean rim. 

so wtf am I doing wrong here?   im not a fan of mousse tubes. and im ready to spend $1000+ for new rims, tubes, rubber, everything and start fresh.

Edited by cdf450
  • Like 1

Are all the punctured tubes leaking from the same spot? If so, that should tell you where on your rim/tire you can check

• Like 1

Would you consider Tire Slime?  If you make note of the direction of the tire then you may be able to tell where the hole is when you see the tire slime coming through.  Then you will know where to look either on the rim or the tire for whatever is causing the hole.

Do you inspect the tubes after removing them? That would tell you if it was a valve stem, pinch, friction..etc. 

Considering your tubliss HP tube leaks out of the valve stem hole, i'd be looking pretty hard at whats causing that. You obviously have an issue with the rim in that area. Buy a freakin spoke and eliminate that variable. No spoke is a wide open conduit for shit to get in your wheel that could be causing friction wear or puncture. 

10psi is the lowest I would ride tubes at. That could certainly be a source of pinch flats riding hard in rocky terrain. 

• Like 1

Install the tire, air it up to 20psi, let it sit for a day or two.  Check air pressure again. 

Is it leaking due to installation, or leaking due to riding?

And where on the tube is it leaking?  (Dunk in water (sink or bathtub) and look for bubbles).

I'd also recommend regular or heavy-duty tubes instead of the super-heavy ones.  More isn't always better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowMule said:

Install the tire, air it up to 20psi, let it sit for a day or two.  Check air pressure again. 

Is it leaking due to installation, or leaking due to riding?

And where on the tube is it leaking?  (Dunk in water (sink or bathtub) and look for bubbles).

I'd also recommend regular or heavy-duty tubes instead of the super-heavy ones.  More isn't always better.

Yeah, hd tubes are what you should use, no reason for shd.  I run hd tubes in a 6 ply desert tire at 11 psi, haven't had a flat in ages.

• Like 1

Been burned twice, different occasions of thorns stuck threw the tire. I always run my fingers around the inside of tire prior to install

Got a flat once, way out from the truck, had to ride back on a front flat. I hit a giant rock. Bent rim good and didn't catch that I killed the rim lock riding on the flat. Many tubes later I figured it out. This was before "WTF" was invented, so I used up all my cuss words and had to borrow some from the guys at work. Taught me to really check well and mark tire/tube before ripping it apart in a fit of anger. Not good to go in debt with cuss words.

10 hours ago, cdf450 said:

ok, this is getting annoying.

I am on tube #4 now.  not fun driving 2 hours, riding for 15 mins and popping a $40 tube every day.

stock excel rim. 1 missing spoke.  no burrs on the rim, no major bends. run at about 10-15 PSI.

I was using an old studded tire, on the dry ground.  there IS a liner in it so the tube doesnt touch the screw heads. the rimlock is a little worn.

I went for 3 rides in a row, and within 15 mins, I had a flat each time. Pinch flat I believe.  (one ride 5/6 bikes got flats..... riding too hard on rocky terrain I guess)

am I running too low of a PSI and pinching it?  or is the rim lock and traction from the studs spinning the tire on the rim, and ripping my valve stem out?

on the plus side... I rode for 45 km hard on a flat tire. the tire somehow didnt come off the rim, and im faster than half my buddies still while riding on a flat!!! I co uld feel it slipping towards the end, badly. basically had no rim lock left after that ride haha.

after 3, ultra heavy duty SDI 4mm tubes at $40 a pop. I am now back to using my old tubliss system... which also leaks flat through the 100PSI valve stem hole over a period of 24 hours. brand new gen2 rim tape. clean rim. 

so wtf am I doing wrong here?   im not a fan of mousse tubes. and im ready to spend $1000+ for new rims, tubes, rubber, everything and start fresh.

Firstly you need to be methodical when you pull the tube so you can ID exactly where the hole is. IE inside edge on both sides, pinch flat etc

Secondly its crappy you still need studded tires this time of the year but I had to put mine on this year (after 4 winters of not needing them) and some of my local trails even at sea level on the coast will have snow until May :(

I used the tapcon screw method to stud both fronts and backs.

Never an issue with flatting the front.

Rear with a UHD tube and a Maxxis Desert IT (which I run as low as 2 PSI even with out studs and never flat), first ride (4 years ago) flatted with in a few minutes and just keep riding cus the tire stayed on the rim. Came back, pulled the tire cut up the old UHD tube and used it as an inner tire liner with a  new UHD tube. Went for another ride and again flatted within a few minutes but at that point there was so much tube in the tire I just keep riding at 0 PSI for the rest of the winter.

This year I got a 6MM yoga mat and cut into a bunch of strips and used just it as a liner. Did about 4 rides this winter and never flatted. My bike still has the studded tires on BUT I've got new tires for the spring on the way and I'm stoked to try the 505 rear :)

This was after the winter 4 years ago. Now the screws have worn down to the nuts and if I have to do it again, I'm going to use a stud gun.

DSCF0296.JPG.0f568fb28eae5bf30ec20755efd62d5c.JPG

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

ok. I cant check the tube when I get home because I normally finish the day on a flat, and when I get back everything is destroyed. im barely able to make it back or do steep hill climbs because the rim spins in the tire. tight, steep, rocky, single track with a flat rear is actually kinda fun lol!!!

regarding the tubliss setup. its leaking from the 110 PSI valve stem hole. did the soap test, thats the only spot.  takes a full day to drain in the shop.  rode today and it was flat within an hour... once again, rode on a god damn flat!!!!!!  thats 5 rides in a row now. im used to it. and getting new rims anyways.   was keeping up with expert level A racers haha!

heres my rear.. RIP.  lasted 2 winters. then 6 solid summer rides hehehe (cheating!!)  shes been on and off the rim 8 times or so.  we dont need studs now. its summer here.. BUT, also amazing sledding conditions too at the right spots. perfect.

otherwise... the ride was AMAZING!!!!  day after a rain in the sand, and in the trees with top soil, and 6" pine needles. loved it. even on a flat.  I have more UHD tubes on the way (will order cheapies next time) and new rims too on may 5th.

IMG_9791.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

IMG_9856.jpg

Edited by cdf450
  • Like 1

As I posted get a thick yoga mat and cut say 6 to 8" wide strips or for that matter strips wide enough to got completely around the tube side to side. Wrap the tube and stuff them both into the tire, then mount the tire to the rim tucking in the mat. Not something I want to do often BUT IMO its been working awesome for me and worst case if you flat just run it as is.

Nice to see you back :)

• Like 1

What's so bad about mousse?  I love the fact that I don't have to worry about a flat ruining my day.

I would just start fresh, new tube, rim lock, rim tape, tire. Everything. Clean your rim up really well check for burs. The pressure does not sound to low at all. I would also add that those SDI tubes are kind of a joke, I don't feel like even the heavy duty ones are that thick. Bridgestone Ultra Heavy duty are the thickest tubes you can buy.

• Like 2

Pulled the rear studded tire and after say 4 or 5 rides, here is what the one layer 6MM yoga mat liner looked like and there was only 2 or 3 screw heads that wore thorough BUT these were from screws were the nut finally came off and IMO these are cheap and work great as liners.

20170409_142839.jpg.f41224898e30069763c304b861213522.jpg

IMO if I was doing the tapcon method again, I would be really careful getting the holes drilled straight into the threads then make sure I had the nuts on as tight as you can get without stripping. Basically you want the heads as flush and recessed inside the tire as possible. Then I would put in two layers of 6MM yoga mat.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 3