Best tire for me

I have a problem, my two favorite things to do on a motorcycle are hill climbs and tight twisties. Which makes a problem I need a tire that can get traction but not slide out on pavement. I currently have a shinko 700 and it does great on pavement but when I off road it just spins the whole time which is kind of fun. Long story short I want the most knobbie tire I can get where I can still take tight turns on pavement?

• Like 1

I really like my 4.00x18 IRC TR8. It handles well in the slop, and uphill, but still allows me to lean into the turns on the street with confidence. Good compromise tires. 

Edited by rz_racer_69

Yeah, 3.0x21 stock size up front. 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/19572/i/irc-tr8-battle-rally-front-tire

I went with the 4.0x18 in back, but they also offer a 4.5x18. 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/19574/i/irc-tr8-battle-rally-rear-tire

Plus, I really like saying "TR8 Battle Rally!" in a monster truck announcer's voice, when asked about my tires, lol. 

Not knee scraping low, for sure, but doubling the posted speed is easy, and the tires have not wiggled a bit and seems to have a lot left. I'm always amazed at how easy it is to lean compared to my heavy street bikes. 

IMG_0666.PNG

• Like 1

Felt the 4.00-18 was closer to the stock 120/80-18

120/80 = 4.7" wide by 3.8" tall

4.00 = 4" wide by 4" tall

4.50 = 4.5" wide by 4.5" tall

The 4.5 is a much taller (~1.5") tire than the stock 120/80, while the 4.0 is only ~ 0.5" taller. I've had 0 times that I wished for wider tire, and I've been in deep sand, mud, even submerged up to the bottom of the gas tank, lol.

• Like 1

Pros/cons depend on what you are riding through.

Smaller tires generally have less weight. Thinner tires cut through muck better. Wider tires give more contact. Tend to float over muck. 

If you go with a taller tire than stock, it will affect your overall gearing to be taller. This will seem as though you have lost power, when in actuallity you simply geared up. The taller the tire the bigger the effect. You can simply replace the rear sproket to a larger one to offset the final drive change. 

Larger tires tend to weigh more. This makes the little engine work harder, and can seem to be a loss in power. The tire weight also is part of the unsprung weight, so it affects suspension performance to a degree. 

• Like 4