2017 FX 450 melting side panel

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2017 FX 450 about 10 days ago and I have 11 hours on it now, I'm a B class hare scrambler and desert guy. Anyway, part of the deal was the bike came with the Husqvarna FMF 4.1 ti with carbon tip slip on, I just raced a 100 mile desert race and my side panel is melting where the slip on meets the pipe. I think my boot must push the plastic into the exhaust a little. Has anybody else had this problem or know of a fix? I have not run the stock exhaust on this bike, but I thought that with it being a factory pipe I wouldn't have this problem. It looks hideous

Thanks

Yes. Common problem. I roasted mine and my Tech10 Boot.

My dealer replaced my panel under warranty. I did modify the mount with a stand-off to eliminate the problem recurring.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Filipe said:

My dealer replaced my panel under warranty. I did modify the mount with a stand-off to eliminate the problem recurring.

is there no heat shielding on that panel? 

The heat shield is barely thicker than a piece of foil- about 1/8 inch.

I think KTM designed this with the Euro map in place, and did not anticipate the extra heat from the NA debacle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Filipe said:

Filipe, I like your spacer idea. what did you put behind it? I will talk to the dealer and get a new side panel coming.

Sorry for the delayed response. First week at the new job and it's kicking my azz.

Here is part of a thread where I discussed this with some others:

I used the EZ coil from Pep Boys. It's working pretty good.

I also extended the bolt holding on the right panel out about 1/2 inch by lengthening it and adding an aluminum sleeve between the panel and frame.

I also wrapped the header right at that point with heat tape.

If you ride hard and grip the bike with your boots, it's gonna melt. I just ignore it.

double up on the foam/foil shield that comes on the panel. about $3 and creates enough room to prevent melting

• Like 2

My 2017 FC450 melted the side panel with the stock exhaust too. I used header wrap and stainless zip ties to keep from melting my boots. The new side panel should be in soon and I will keep the header wrap and double up on the foil heat shield. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 9:26 AM, starkm31 said:

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2017 FX 450 about 10 days ago and I have 11 hours on it now, I'm a B class hare scrambler and desert guy. Anyway, part of the deal was the bike came with the Husqvarna FMF 4.1 ti with carbon tip slip on, I just raced a 100 mile desert race and my side panel is melting where the slip on meets the pipe. I think my boot must push the plastic into the exhaust a little. Has anybody else had this problem or know of a fix? I have not run the stock exhaust on this bike, but I thought that with it being a factory pipe I wouldn't have this problem. It looks hideous

Thanks

Does the stock FX head pipe have a welded on bracket with a round rubber piece under the side panel like the FE's? If yes, very carefully bend it out to give your side panel a little extra clearance. And did they re-map your bike for the FMF? It may be a bit lean causing it to run hot.