How good is the 2017 KTM 250sxf?

My 15yr old son is wanting a new 2017 KTM 250sxf bad. But after reading the reviews and shootouts on the bike it's got me a little concerned. From what I have read it don't have much low end power and it needs to run at 13,000-14,000rpm all the time to run good. The shootouts say it's more of a pro level rider bike and the intermediate  level riders don't like it much. Anybody have a new 2017 KTM 250sxf and what do you think about it so far?

The mags are full of crap. Look at the mxa dyno numbers they published in 16 . The ktm put out the same hp as the other  bikes at the lower rpm. At 8000rpm it was within 1/3 hp of the top bike at that rpm. I have a 16 250xcf, supposedly the same motor as the sx but with a 6 speed. If thats the case the ktm has plenty of low end power. The ktm can feel like its all top end because it revs so fast. It cant rev fast if it doesn't have the power to get there right?

• Like 2

One thing I noticed about the 2017, the changed the sprockets for more top end. I believe the added a tooth front and back so that will hurt bottom end power. I believe it went from 13/50 to 14/51but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

I haven't ridden that bike so take it with a grain of salt, but dyno's are run at full throttle so although the KTM may show good numbers it doesn't necessarily translate to real world conditions.  My current ride is a CRF250 and it was weak off the bottom until I got a Motion Pro (Rev2?) throttle.  With the largest spindle installed that allowed me to get it fully open from corner to corner, it runs awesome.  My guess is that some of these FI bike respond very well to full throttle as compared to a carbureted bike.

Edited by Float

You can dyno a bike at part throttle to check how it responds

Just picked up a 17' for my 15 year old son.  He rode his cousins before buying but what 15 year old kid is not going to like it. It was more money than a Yami and Kawi and I'm not sure he is going to notice much difference between those bikes given his ability. Yes, I'm  putting on a 13t on the front and hoping I don't need to spend money on the suspension.  He's about 135-140# so the springs are probably a little stiff.

I went with the 17' because of the new fork figuring I was going to drop more money on the 4CS to get it correct.

He still races the 125 and loves that bike and was going to hold off on the 250 but I just sold my bike and another bike so it wasn't bad to get into the KTM.  My preference is for kids his age to race the 125, even in the 250 class.  Get the 125 dialed in and a 250f will be easy to ride.

I can ride his 250 when I want to get a few laps in.

We are heading to the track this weekend to break in the suspension and try to get it somewhat dialed in.

I agree about the 125 I wish my 15yr old was little enough for one. They are great bikes and cheap and easy to work on. But my 15yr old is 6ft 2in and 185-190lbs. That's why I got rid of his 125 at his size riding one hard all the time it's hard to keep  one together. I would kinda rather go with a 350sxf but that would screw him on classes in motocross. I think the 350 would last him a lot longer with less probablems. The 250f is going to get rode pretty hard and feel like it don't have enough power compared to his 250 2 stroke. His 2 cousins both 15 also both race too and they both have 250f's so he wants to stay in the same class they ride. I have been working on his 250sx suspension and try to smooth the power out a little. It seems to be getting a little better so I think I'm going to wait till July when the 2018's come out and see what is new or just pick up a left over 17 a little cheaper. I'm still going back and forth between KTM and Yamaha though. I have always rode Yamaha and I would rather have their spring forks over any other.

I find the 250's to be a great learning bike for older people and heavier set kids. It's a perfect bike that not only a small guy can ride but also a bigger person. They make good power and the KTM's come on quick. I've owned 2 250SX-F and loved both of them. 

Hey I didn't say anything about having a heavy set kid!lol He might be 15 and in 9th grade but he is bigger than most 12th graders. He was 6ft 2in last time I measured him but it's been awhile I'm kinda afraid to measure him again. He has a six pack stomach and built like a rock. If he gets pissed at his 250 he could pick it up and throw it.lol

1 hour ago, SonsRexspensive said:

Hey I didn't say anything about having a heavy set kid!lol He might be 15 and in 9th grade but he is bigger than most 12th graders. He was 6ft 2in last time I measured him but it's been awhile I'm kinda afraid to measure him again. He has a six pack stomach and built like a rock. If he gets pissed at his 250 he could pick it up and throw it.lol

lol I wasn't calling him big i was just saying that you could have a 100lbs kid and a 200lbs kid ride the 250SX-F and you'd still get a great package bike for the price and the way they are set up. But i hear yea lol