Drz400s fuel screw

I know there's lots of info out there on this topic but I'm still a little confused. I have a '00 S and the engine is stock other than the 3x3 and JD jet. I put all the correct jets in according to his instructions, I also installed an extended fuel screw. What's a good setting for the fuel screw? I saw someone said screw it in till it starts to die and then back out till the idle peaks. I've done that but I really don't know when the idle is peaking. So rather than doing that does anyone know of a good setting for the screw? Like 2.5 turns or something like that. The bike randomly dies every now and then but it starts right back up I was just wondering if maybe it had something to do with a incorrect fuel screw setting

Edited by Bm1997

screw it in till it starts to slow down or stumble, back it out a 1/2 turn....you will be close enough

if the idle increases on its own when you get it hot its lean, screw it out a bit more

Edited by rustynut2
  • Like 1

Tbh - I followed the JD instructions to a T and set it to finger tight then backed off 2.25 turns. From there just trouble shoot for rich / lean conditions and go from there.

i have had it back out a bit on me, and would notice excess popping or exhaust fumes and would tweak it from there.

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, RC_ichard said:

Tbh - I followed the JD instructions to a T and set it to finger tight then backed off 2.25 turns. From there just trouble shoot for rich / lean conditions and go from there.

i have had it back out a bit on me, and would notice excess popping or exhaust fumes and would tweak it from there.

Good luck!

I lost his instructions I forgot if he specified the correct fuel Screw setting or not, thanks man