Worth rebuilding bike?

Hi, I have an 04 250 that I have been wanting to get the top and bottom end rebuilt however the quote I got was almost $1500. Do you guys think it is worth it on this old of a bike, or should I just ride it till it blows and part it out? The bottom end is original, and I did the top end with stainless valves back in 2008. I'm just getting worried it's gonna Blow up on me soon. The bikes still in good shape I change oil and air filter every 2-3 hours, and put new rims and hubs on it last summer.

IMG_0119.JPG

• Like 1

I really don't understand the fear of four strokes, especially one you've owned and maintained. I'd say check everything and see if you need to rebuild. If so, do that.

Bike looks very nice for a 04

• Like 2

Again, good looking bike, super clean!!! I will do a leak test check valves and compression test more often, if the bike is working fine I wouldn't mess with with the engine.

Just keep an eye on the valve gaps.  Ride it.  You could easily save yourself $1000 if you fix it your self.  Lots of  youtube videos plus help on this site.

That looks great for an '04.  Rebuild it with the correct durability mods and enjoy it. 

Here is my .2 cents on rebuilding older bikes. Is it a bike you like is the first question. Sure 1500 for a rebuild sounds like a lot and it's a investment for sure, but nothing close to 7500-9000 on a new bike. 2000 would be what a comparable bike would sell for. So let's say you invest 1500 or less if you do it yourself (not the easiest thing in he world, I got that part, but once you learn how to do it, that skill stays with you for a long time and who knows when you will need it again) then there is the other hand, you could sell it, or ride it until it blows apart and part it out, then buy a used newer one for maybe 1000 more than the rebuild, but who's to say that bike won't need the same thing in 30-40 hours. I'm a Suzuki guy, and I personally love the 05-07 RMZ450's. i have 3 in my "collection" and I have rebuilt 2 of them from the ground up. Sure I spent a lot more than they were worth, but personally I love that model of bike so it's a worthy investment for me. If you like the bike, rebuild it, if you're looking for something else, then the rest is up to you. Good luck on your decision man!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. Is there a way to tell if the crank is going out, that's my main concern right now. I know if you see brass flakes in the filter is one way. I just don't want to spend money on rebuilding it if I can get another year or so out of it, I mean yesterday I pulled it out for the first time in 7 months and it fired on the first kick.

I would not do it. Your bike looks really nice, sell it for say $1000 add $1700 and get your self a newer model like a 2013/14. I also sold my 04 250R and got a 2011 250R this newer bike is so much better than the 04

If it runs well and you don't see shavings in your filter then I wouldn't put a new crank in it, especially if you don't MX. But that's just me. I have a ton of hours on my 06. Still oem crank, it is on its way out tho.