Well, I bought one

Some of you might know me from the "What bike should I buy" Forum.  Anyways here is a recap:  Last year I got my 7 year old nephew a Chinese 70 cc for his 7th birthday, he has gotten pretty good in the past few months and is now ready to leave the yard.  Since I will be riding with him sooner than later, I bought a 2002 CRF450R from a very nice older guy yesterday.  He bought it in 2004 and went to an annual Moab Dudecation in 2004-2007 and has sat in dry storage since then.  Since I was the first to call on it, I helped him put fluids and fresh gas in it.  six kicks later it woke up from its coma :-)  Came with 2 exhausts with and without spark arrestor, and a different sprocket and chain.

I'm going to order the manual, right now it runs great but things change quickly.  I've never ridden off road before so this could get interesting, my goal is to ride with my little buddy and keep myself out of the ER.  I'm sure I'll be talking to many of you soon.

Bikea.jpg

Bikeb.jpg

Edited by Goobzilla

Great story and thank you for sharing.  Congratulations and if you need anything for it, let me know. I'm parting out this bike.  Keeping some of it for my 06 project but lots of good parts won't fit it.  Robert at hrc27mxr@ gmail.com 

Enjoy man!

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3314.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Robert!  Most of the stuff I own gets modified after I've had it a while.  It's fun to mess with stuff

• Like 1

Just now, Goobzilla said:

Thanks Robert!  Most of the stuff I own gets moyou needfified after I've had it a while.  It's fun to mess with stuff

I know, right!?  Some are on ebay but nothings been selling so hit me up If you need something. I'll make you a good deal.

Safe riding!

Sounds like your new toy has had a very easy life. Should be solidly reliable for a good while especially since you aren't a wide open race rider.

Only thing I'd say about it is do not sit still with it running while waiting for the lil dude or anything. They dont like to sit still or move very very slowly for extended periods they get hot and can boil over. 

You can get some real good quality coolant, me and a lot of the guys here use engine ice and it is great stuff and not expensive. 

I am sure you will have a blast with it these are some insanely fun bikes to ride once you get the hang of all that power. Crf450 Smiles per mile are hard to match. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HRC27 said:

I know, right!?  Some are on ebay but nothings been selling so hit me up If you need something. I'll make you a good deal.

Safe riding!

I'll be emailing you lol need an exhaust and plastics

1 hour ago, powers145 said:

I'll be emailing you lol need an exhaust and plastics

The exhaust Is actually 06 so I'll be using that and unmodifying the muffler but, yeah, plastics are new Polisport and I have more excellent parts as well:

New OEM rear brake pedal w/new pivot bolt, seat with new FX all gripper cover, tank with new Light Speed CF cover, swingarm with new slider and guide and great hardware, WC rad braces, new OEM engine guards, shock, linkage, etc.

Funny thing is I had the same White Bros exhaust on my bike too.  I guess it was a popular thing back then.  That low bow head pipe looked awful!....lol

2 hours ago, HRC27 said:

The exhaust Is actually 06 so I'll be using that and unmodifying the muffler but, yeah, plastics are new Polisport and I have more excellent parts as well:

New OEM rear brake pedal w/new pivot bolt, seat with new FX all gripper cover, tank with new Light Speed CF cover, swingarm with new slider and guide and great hardware, WC rad braces, new OEM engine guards, shock, linkage, etc.

If you have extra unmangled 05/06 exhaust pieces lemme know. 

38 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

If you have extra unmangled 05/06 exhaust pieces lemme know.

Just had the one that I had on my 03 and I'll be using It. Will keep my eye on CL here for you though.

• Like 1

Oh man I didn't even notice your new bike came with a kickstand installed! You sir lucked out cuz it doesn't look like stable trees to lean on are abundant where you're at

• Like 1