Clutch not working properly

Hi, so basically I own a 2001 KTM 250exc and when I pull in the clutch, kick it in first, and continue to leave the clutch in the bike wants to move forward, if I put my feet up it moves very slowly as if the clutch is not all the way in. I bled the system and put in new oil (maguras blood) but that did not work.

It's called "creep". A bike that old probably needs a new basket. The clutch plates wear divots into the basket fingers over time. They get deep enough that when you pull in the clutch lever, the plates tend to want to stay in those divots instead of moving away from each other to effectively disengage the clutch pack. So there's still enough friction between the discs and plates that the bike will creep in gear with the clutch lever held.

Sometimes you can minimize the effect by carefully draw filing the basket fingers to knock the tops off the divots and make them more shallow. Depending on how bad/deep they are, if you remove too much material trying to file them out completely, you risk making the condition worse from creating too much clearance between the plates and the basket fingers.

So the first thing you should do is pull the clutch cover and have a look.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

It's called "creep". A bike that old probably needs a new basket. The clutch plates wear divots into the basket fingers over time. They get deep enough that when you pull in the clutch lever , the plates tend to want to stay in those divots instead of moving away from each other to effectively disengage the clutch pack. So there's still enough friction between the discs and plates that the bike will creep in gear with the clutch lever held.

Sometimes you can minimize the effect by carefully draw filing the basket fingers to knock the tops off the divots and make them more shallow. Depending on how bad/deep they are, if you remove too much material trying to file them out completely, you risk making the condition worse from creating too much clearance between the plates and the basket fingers.

So the first thing you should do is pull the clutch cover and have a look.

Ok thanks!