Want to buy a KTM 200 help me understand the differences

I am looking for lightweight trail bike.  It seems that the KTM 200 will do all that I want and more.  I have searched but not found conclusive answers to the differences between the KTM 200 models.  I am looking at the older 200s that are in my price range.  It seems that the EXC would be ideal for me, did they come with lights from the factory?  If not do they all have lighting coils?  Also I have seen MXC models for sale, does this have different gear ratios or suspension changes or both?  That leads me to the SX model, there is one for sale not that far from me.  It is my understanding that SX is a motocross bike, but what are the actual differences.

Thanks in advance, I am finding the KTM world to be very confusing so far.

• Like 1

200 exc  wide ratio trans, headlight, soft suspension

200mxc  semi close ratio trans, power for a headlight, did not come with a headlight, I believe the suspension is very close to the sx, 

200sx  close ratio trans, solid mx bike.  will still run lights

the 200sx is rare, and what I ride, but not a great trail bike.  Mxc is supposed to be at home on track or trail, exc is an excellent trail bike, but not so good on the track.  Almost all are subject to the year  200sx was only made in 03 and 04, exc has been around since the late 90's, mxc stopped in 04?

basically the exc is now the xcw, and the mxc is now the XC.

all 3 have the same engine with the exception of the gearbox, and power valve timer. 

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 4

That is very helpful. So the SX I saw listed did not include the year and it must be 03 or 04.  I will probably hold out for the EXC, just have not found any less than 4 hours away from me.  Most that I see listed as EXC don't have headlights on them, must be popular to remove them?

I could be wrong about it coming with a headlight, but yes, I assume people remove them to give a racier look.  200's are getting harder to find, and guys that have them tend to hold on to them. The 200sx is worth a look, lots of ability to tune and adjust, and to guys like me they are worth a good amount of money.

the 200 is an excellent bike in any of the forms imo. 

Here is some info from the FAQ Sticky

US models..........

EXC-lights,Odo,heavy flywheel,18" rear wheel ,large tank,wide ratio gear box, softer suspension , spark arrestor.

MXC-close ratio, heavy flywheel light capable,18" rear,large tank,softer suspension,spark arrestor.

SX- close ratio, small gas tank,19" rear, frequently a year ahead on upgrades compared to the other models,firm suspension.

125-200 share same chassis and motor cases/design.Early years 125EXC.

250-300 share motor and chassis.

96-97- basically the same with the butterscotch orange color and different color graphics. The last years of linkage rear suspension. 125-200(97 only)-250-300-360.

98-99-new bikes with current orange colors, linkless rear suspension, 50mm WP forks. 125-200-250-300-380.

00-01-02-basically the same with upside down 43mm forks. 00 black gas tank,01-02 clear gas tank.125-200-250-300-380.

03-48mm forks and some change in plastics,seat,tank on some models, rear shock has top out spring.125-200-250-300.

04-new one piece rear fender,tank,seat,airbox. 48mm forks,new chassis and motor for 250-300 8lbs lighter, rear has top out spring.125-200-250-300.

05-new headlight mask, no more top out spring in shock.125-200-250-300.

06-new designations, XC replaces MXC, XC-W replaces EXC,no lights or spark arrestors on off road models to help meet US guidelines for 2st imports. These have the lighting coils and lights can be added. Black wheels.

125-200-250-300.

07-Somebody fill in for me, I know they have closed cartridge forks now.- 'Mike in Fresno'

I don't think the XC or the W got the cartridge forks in 07. Just the SX. - 'Layton'

Can we confirm this and fill in the rest?

08-....

More later.

Just rebuilt a 07 200 XC.   07' is the last year of the 200 being in the 125 chassis, 08' -16 the 200 is in the 250/300 full-size chassis....which is the main reason I wanted a 07'.  07' first year of 36mm carb and dual map ignition.  They say 36mm carb improved low-end and smoothed out the hit, the 07 does have a much smoother hit than my 03 did (with the 38mm carb).    Wife also has a 07 200XC. 

07' had an anomaly outer clutch basket which has been known to have issues, 97.5' - 2016 all had the same outer clutch basket EXCEPT the 07 and early 08's.....I found this out the hard-way during the recent full rebuild.  

97.5-2016' 200 engines are almost unchanged besides a few minor things like shift drum, shift arm (internal), reed cage spacer, etc, etc.  

XCW has a lower 1st gear than XC, 2nd-4th about the same and XCW 5th and 6th taller than XC Tranny.

I believe 07' XC is Open Cartridge.  03' EXC was known for being stiff/harsh (as was mine) due to the "third bushing", easily corrected with a little guidance.  Our 07' XC's do have enough umph to run a headlight and grip heaters......assuming the bike is not at idle ;)   No headlight provided 07 XC/XCW.

I'm 215lbs riding weight and the 200 is plenty of fun in the single track, not a great hillclimber but I don't really climb hills.  

Edited by justinandkarna

2008 and later use a full size frame (i.e. 250/300) and are thus heavier. 2008 is the dividing line between electric start.

IMHO, the recent 200s are too close in size to the 250/300 that you  might as well just get a 300.

Thanks for all the info.  How about the older bikes, there is an 2000 MXC for sale about 3.5 hours away from me.  Any major drawbacks to the older bikes?  I know they have smaller forks but I doubt I could tell the difference.

I had an 01 MXC for a short time.  Fun bike, very tall.  

Tall might be a problem for me since I am 5' 7".  I have yet to find any easy way to lower these bikes either since they don't have linkage.  Does it require a shorter spring to lower the rear?

Suspension shop can lower the bike for a reasonable price, I've never had the need but from what I understand this is the best way to go.   You can make some gains by pulling the forks up in the triple, and shave the seat. @Bron-Yr-Auris around your height I think?  He's shaved his seat and I believe lowered his 200xc. Might be worth pm'ing him for details.  He's a good guy, I bet he'd be glad to offer advice. 

• Like 2

Suspension shop can lower the bike for a reasonable price, I've never had the need but from what I understand this is the best way to go.   You can make some gains by pulling the forks up in the triple, and shave the seat. [mention=365453]Bron-Yr-Aur[/mention]is around your height I think?  He's shaved his seat and I believe lowered his 200xc. Might be worth pm'ing him for details.  He's a good guy, I bet he'd be glad to offer advice. 

Haha thanks for the plug. I'd be glad to post my experience here if the OP does indeed want it.
  • Like 1

Please chime in, I am not ready to make the long drive to buy this bike but everyone tells me I will love a KTM 200, just hoping for one closer by.

Checkout Synergy X-Bushing. Lowers the bike up to 7/8".

Link: http://www.ktm-parts.com/XBUSHKIT.html

The KTM X-Bushing is an adjustable bushing to raise or lower the rear end three different positions, 1/4", 3/8", 7/8" and maintains full suspension travel.

Fits most 1998 to 2016 KTM offroad PDS suspension only.

I installed it on my 2012 500 and liked it a lot. It does require slight filing of aluminum on swing arm, which was unnerving but a non issue.

I also installed a Seat Concepts low seat. The combination of the X-Bushing and low seat lowered the bike close to an inch and a half.

Made a big difference in gnar for my 31 inch inseam.

• Like 1

I do love mine. I'm 5'3" with 28" inseam. 130-135 lbs. In stock form a 200 is TALL! But the amazing thing is that it feels so little when you're mounted atop it. Hydraulic clutch, adjustable power valve (no interchangeable spring though, like the 250-300). Light, nimble. And that's with my runt self on board. I would've loved to have had a chance to ride/buy a pre 2008 for the aforementioned reasons, but they are quite rare around here.

Lowering: after speaking with my local tech, I realized that it is a very delicate situation. Things like lowering links etc, on bike with linkage, tends to throw things into disarray. Changing angles and height also changes spring rates in relation to the bike. Even lowering the way that is considered "correct", all these things still have to be taken into account.

After a 2 hr conversation with him, I opted to keep the stock springs and have the bike lowered internally. A spacer installed in the rear, and new grooves machined inside the forks at the front. This saved me a bunch of money over buying new springs. And also makes it quite easy for the next guy to put back should I ever sell (not gonna happen)

And since he was already in there, for not much more he revalved it for my riding style. The jury is still out on how much the ride is affected in serious riding conditions. I've only 1 hour on it riding around my house. My Lectron carb had a problem and had to be sent back for a week. Hoping it'll be back when I get home today. I did notice the harshness of the front forks was helped. I'm not a fan of closed chamber forks (on SX and XC bikes) in woods situations. But I've heard they can be greatly helped by playing with oil level. So I can't count them out yet. I still want to mess with that level.

To a degree, I agree with Pat. For a normal sized guy, why not go bigger. But for us short, light guys, it just doesn't make sense. Every pound matters. Power wise, the 200 will take me wherever I want to go. My (in)ability is the only determining factor. And to be honest, unless you're a fatty, I don't even understand the necessity of a 300. The best rider I've seen I person rides a 250. He said the 300 is actually more difficult in really tech situations (and believe me, this guy rides tech. None of us can do what he does) because of the abundance of power. He gets much better traction with his 250. Of course, that's all subjective. And my worthless opinion, so just ignore that part.

For me and my size and riding style, the 200 is the only way to go. It has more power and ability than I believe I'll need for a long time.

• Like 4

Oh yeah. Just remembered. I also installed the xbushing, but don't like it. For the very little adjustment I got, it was a lot of work. Grinding 1-2 mm from the swing arm and 1-2 mm from the clevis? If I had it to do over, I wouldn't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

But for us short, light guys, it just doesn't make sense. Every pound matters. Power wise, the 200 will take me wherever I want to go.... And my worthless opinion, so just ignore that part.

For sure, its a personal choice. After all, its your bike, get what you want. I'm a tall fat old guy. My buddy rides a 2014 200XCW and I ride a 2017 300XCW. Both are nice bikes. For me the extra torque of the 300 is a win. We do this for fun.

Thanks for all the info.  So for what is is worth I haven't ruled out even smaller bore bikes yet, just a matter of finding one closer by on my meager budget. I guess I will get further into the details of the lowering when I actually have the bike.  I currently have a XR400 and I don't think the factory seat height is much different 1" or so.

Bron-Yr-Aur did you do anything with the seat?

A 2004 200sx just popped up on Craigslist only an hour and a half away.  Is the valving way off for woods riding?  I am comfortable with working on suspension my self if I know what needs to be done.

• Like 1