New Piston - Which brand? OEM? Other?

I'll likely have to replace my piston this year (we'll see though).  What's the go-to brand for pistons for the 450x?  Also, same question goes for cylinder replacement.

Edited by SteveKing84

Ya know.  Same question goes for valves too.  I only just got my CRF450X recently, so I'm not in-the-know of these things

I go with OEM piston and rings. Ive not needed a cylinder after 2 pistons. Go with stainless steel valves with a good shop doing the cutting and head work. My two cents..

Yeah .. Oem is quality , I have a wiseco piston at the moment . No issues after 7000 Kim , I don't rev it to the moon tho . I have Del west valves ATM . I have never had any issues with JE pistons in the past .

I prefer OEM cylinders , I have used cylinder works kits too . Check the timing chain / tensioner too .

• Like 1

my 08  model, changed the original 1 owner factory piston at 160 hours, put a standard oem Honda piston back in... easy choice and cheap.. buy the way it was cheaper getting a piston, pin and clips, camchain and gasket freighted from the USA to New Zealand than what I could get from Honda New Zealand... by about 30%.. it was via Partzilla from memory, and the camchain didnt need doing, and the piston was fine as well said the mechanic... so probably could have got away with a $40 set of rings only...

Ive been running the JE Pistons for a few years now. Always impressed with the machining out of the box. 

OEM always excellent but can be spendy depending on your source. 

• Like 2