Need Honest Opinions on KLX140G from current owners

As the post title says, looking for feedback on the 140G.  I'm considering it for my 13 (soon to be 14)  year old son.  No riding experience other than a couple of weekends at MSF Dirt Bike School.  He's 5'4" and just over 100lbs.   I've had him on the CRF150F and he's also given a CRF230F a try.  The 230 intimidated him due to the higher center of gravity on the weight and while he certainly can handle the CRF150, he's got long legs and seems cramped when on the pegs.  The KLX140G seems to be the right balance given the larger tires and the frame seems more open when he sits on it.  (No test ride, though).

So, before I "pull the trigger" as the overused phrase goes, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Great lookin ride there.  My son is 13 and has been riding the L for a little over a year, been an awesome ride for him.  I would think the

G model you purchased would treat him well.  Have fun!

I wish I had seen that.  My neighbors kid outgrew one.  Took excellent care of it and they resold it easily after 2 seasons.  I think the crf150 is great,  but has drawbacks like weight.  

Well, no one answered..... but, I went and picked it up anyway!
IMG_8915.jpg.5123205b4ad4144dbcfa9a747c8c3f23.jpg

I'm pretty interested in how the power is on it. My wife is a decent rider and fits the 140G pretty good.

3 hours ago, pre-mixed said:

I'm pretty interested in how the power is on it. My wife is a decent rider and fits the 140G pretty good.

I only hopped on it for like five minutes when I got it home (don't really have an area near me to do it without being totally illegal), but it felt really good, even stock.  It's 144cc, so only 5 less than the CRF150.  We'll be taking it out Tues. or Wed. , so I'll let you know.

The smallish engine might turn off a few but the full-sized wheels, lower weight,

front / rear disk brakes and somewhat adjustable suspension versus the competition make it a very interesting bike IMO.

For 160lbs or less rider, I'd pick a 140G over a 230F.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mlatour said:

The smallish engine might turn off a few but the full-sized wheels, lower weight,

front / rear disk brakes and somewhat adjustable suspension versus the competition make it a very interesting bike IMO.

For 160lbs or less rider, I'd pick a 140G over a 230F.

That's pretty much how I came to the decision.  On paper the KLX beats out the CRF150 quite well.  The reduced weight compared to the 230 is a given and since my kid is barely over 100 lbs. soaking wet.....

I only hopped on it for like five minutes when I got it home (don't really have an area near me to do it without being totally illegal), but it felt really good, even stock.  It's 144cc, so only 5 less than the CRF150.  We'll be taking it out Tues. or Wed. , so I'll let you know.

My wife has been riding a lowered CRF 250X with a few mods to make it easier to ride but it's so heavy and she just logs around on it and doesn't use much of its power anyway.

I've been thinking about one of these too.  Got a chance to see and sit on one at the bike show in February, and was impressed.  Local dealer still doesn't have one. 

I just SO WISH Kawasaki would offer this in a road legal version.  Heck, all it needs is lights, mirrors, and a horn.  It's already got a 100 watt DC electrical system. 

Fact is, Kawasaki does make a road legal version, it's called a KLX 150BF.  It's available with USD forks and an engine bash plate. Even has a kick starter too.  Only problem is, it's only for the far east market; Indonesia, Philippines, places like that. 

I talked with a couple of Kawasaki representatives, saying that if they are going to offer a full size bike that's not a race bike, it ought to be able to do all the things that adults do, namely to ride legally on the road. 

I didn't get much of an argument, but was told that a replacement is in the works for the discontinued KLX 250. 

On 4/9/2017 at 11:22 PM, pre-mixed said:

My wife has been riding a lowered CRF 250X with a few mods to make it easier to ride but it's so heavy and she just logs around on it and doesn't use much of its power anyway.

Took it out yesterday.  My poor kid had a really tough time, not because of the bike, because where we went is really sandy (very common for our area) so as a true novice he really struggled; truthfully so did I.

That being said... the bike seemed to do really well and despite his having a rough time,  he really liked it and felt very comfortable on it.  He needs to learn to keep RPM's up, but that will come with time.  I hopped on it for a bit and used it in a practice area that's not quite as sandy, just a relatively small practice loop.  It handled really well and with the stock suspension and my 200 lbs, it didn't even blink.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, maicoguy said:

I've been thinking about one of these too.  Got a chance to see and sit on one at the bike show in February, and was impressed.  Local dealer still doesn't have one. 

I just SO WISH Kawasaki would offer this in a road legal version.  Heck, all it needs is lights, mirrors , and a horn.  It's already got a 100 watt DC electrical system. 

Fact is, Kawasaki does make a road legal version, it's called a KLX 150BF.  It's available with USD forks and an engine bash plate. Even has a kick starter too.  Only problem is, it's only for the far east market; Indonesia, Philippines, places like that. 

I talked with a couple of Kawasaki representatives, saying that if they are going to offer a full size bike that's not a race bike, it ought to be able to do all the things that adults do, namely to ride legally on the road. 

I didn't get much of an argument, but was told that a replacement is in the works for the discontinued KLX 250. 

If something like the KLX250 comes out I'd certainly take a look at it, all be it a very early and brief experience with the 140G has  left me pretty pleased.

Hopefully your Klx is treating you well. 

We bought one last weekend for my wife and it's a hoot to ride. Even though I'm 6 foot and weigh 225, I still get a bunch of enjoyment out of it. 

If she ever "outgrows" it, I'm going to make it street legal. 

• Like 1

Finally!!!  Got to get out and give this bike a real ride (or at least one of my kids did.)  Previously had only gotten it out for about 4-5 hours over 3 very short lived excursions.  All on just a sandy National Forest loop, ridden by my 13-year-old.

Took my 23 yo out to Durhamtown Offroad in Georgia. The bike (still in stock form) got it's first real test from him. He has only piddled around in some fields on friends bikes, no real experience. Well, roughly 7 hours of riding, with just some rear shock adjustment and the bike proved itself and then some. It really is a great bike for a novice rider or experienced. He's roughly 160 lbs. and it took only a minute to dial in his suspension. The bike was a mule, tackled everything he threw at it and forgave any mistakes he dished out to it. After his first hour, he was riding like he'd been riding for quite a while. The bike was easy for him to manage and stayed planted and tracked great. From wide open ATV size runs with whoops, to rock gardens, to some severely challenging rutted out mud holes, to a hill climb that I honestly didn't think he'd conquer on the first run (but did), even some reasonably technical single track. All of which is bathed in that world famous Georgia Red Clay. It was really impressive. I'm probably not going to mess with much on it for a while, as it will really be the primary bike for my 13 yo and given he's only 110 lbs. if that. Plus with no experience to compare the power to, I'm not seeing a reason to throw money at it just yet.

Word of warning though (really just ratting myself out), I was inspecting my air filter that I replaced before the trip when cleaning the bike today. While I was buttoning it up, I split the receptacle rings/holes (for lack of a better term) to the cover in two spots. I really didn't torque them down or so I thought, but apparently, I did. Didn't even feel like I had cranked on it. So be careful, as it appears it doesn't take much to do it. The cover is fine and firm, but I'm kind of OCD and not pleased about splitting the rings.

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear others be so pleased with this bike. I bought one earlier in the summer (my first dirt bike), and I've been having a blast. I'm glad your son is too :)

I'm glad to hear others be so pleased with this bike. I bought one earlier in the summer (my first dirt bike), and I've been having a blast. I'm glad your son is too

The KLX140G is a great bike. Most of the time I ride one of three different 250cc two-strokes with a couple of fast 450cc four-stroke riders that I struggle to keep up with on trails or motocross tracks. But back in December of 2016 I purchased a KLX140G to trail ride with whenever I ride with slower, less experienced riders. I have just as much fun on my KLX140G as I do on my bigger, faster 250cc two-strokes! I am amazed by the KLX140G's fuel economy, stock tires and suspension performance for trail riding. The only changes I plan to make on mine are re-jetting the carburetor, replacing the stock bars with a set of ProTaper CR HI bends and ditching the stock air filter for a new TwinAir. I love my KLX140G and I weigh 192 lbs. before gear. The little Kawi will climb a tree! :-)
  • Like 1

The KLX140G is a great bike. Most of the time I ride one of three different 250cc two-strokes with a couple of fast 450cc four-stroke riders that I struggle to keep up with on trails or motocross tracks. But back in December of 2016 I purchased a KLX140G to trail ride with whenever I ride with slower, less experienced riders. I have just as much fun on my KLX140G as I do on my bigger, faster 250cc two-strokes! I am amazed by the KLX140G's fuel economy, stock tires and suspension performance for trail riding. The only changes I plan to make on mine are re-jetting the carburetor, replacing the stock bars with a set of ProTaper CR HI bends and ditching the stock air filter for a new TwinAir. I love my KLX140G and I weigh 192 lbs. before gear. The little Kawi will climb a tree! :-)

**working hard on getting a pic of me climbing a tree...what could go wrong?**
  • Like 2

I'm looking into one too. I rode for two years as a novice on the KLX 140 LE Monster Energy version. Nice ride. As I progressed I got a WR250F. That was a great bike too but I never felt 100 percent confident with the weight and height. Even with a Rekluse, rear hand brake, lowered seat and suspension, I later sold it

Now this G version looks enticing. But I want the plushness and stiffness of inverted forks.  Can this be swapped out for MX forks? I know the L version can be swapped for KX 85/100 forks.  But this G has 21" wheel.  

It sounds fun too to beef it up later with a big bore 170cc kit. Maybe when it needs a new top end or other engine maintenance 

I'm 160lbs, and a 32" inseam.  Novice/intermediate rider