Pro bend crm 2016 fx

So I ponied up the $300cdn for pro bend crm hand guards for my 16 fx. This bike is brand new and everything is stock. It's never been started so nothing is bent yet. Even the hand guards are sparkly new!

They don't seem to fit very well. Haven't total dived into mounting yet but it looks like they will clash with the brake line and clutch cable and they appear they may not have the correct bend to mount square to the bar ends.

These are popular hand guards. Surely somebody has mounted up a fresh set. Any tricks before I hear back out another night to play around with them?

I got the same ones for my 2016 yz250f and they took some work to get them fitted. I had to grind down the clamps to prevent interference with the forks. Then I put them in the ends of the bars first and bent them to the clamps, they flex pretty easily so not too big of a deal.

IMG_1735.thumb.JPG.962d89c59fc2116d244c59e732ec053c.JPG

IMG_1751.thumb.JPG.f7d88735917e6d749e5a3f2c4a7f9444.JPG

I got the Pro Bends as a bonus from Yamaha with my 2017 FX.  I replaced the stock handle bar with a straighter TAG Metals one and the guards still weren't an easy fit.  I ended up using the black spacer on the right side and a shorter stack of washers on the left side so that the guard didn't interfere with the the number plate as much.

The Cycra Probend hand guards work great with the right mounting setup!  Not sure about the CRM, but I believe they can be made to work too.   The  most sturdy set up is to use the triple clamp side mounts http://cycraracing.com/cycra-1055-02-series-one-handguards-triple-clamp-side-mount-system/ and  you will need the spacer kit http://cycraracing.com/products/handguards/clamps/?sort=featured&page=2.   This set up allows the hand guards to avoid contact with the brake master cylinder and brake line on one side and clutch lever and cable on the other.   Be aware that handlebar clamps are not so sturdy with  handlebars that have a large taper where the clamp needs to be attached - like on our YZFX's.

8 hours ago, skidoorules_98 said:

So I ponied up the $300cdn for pro bend crm hand guards for my 16 fx. This bike is brand new and everything is stock. It's never been started so nothing is bent yet. Even the hand guards are sparkly new!

They don't seem to fit very well. Haven't total dived into mounting yet but it looks like they will clash with the brake line and clutch cable and they appear they may not have the correct bend to mount square to the bar ends.

These are popular hand guards. Surely somebody has mounted up a fresh set. Any tricks before I hear back out another night to play around with them?

You got hosed if you paid $300.

You got hosed if you paid $300.

Lol. Probably did. I had watched them for a few years and they always seemed to be around that price. I decided this year to go for it and it was what it was.
  • Like 1

Yamaha Motor Canada MSL is $266 + HST = $300.  Mail-order sources are cheaper but not always convenient for some people.

I got the Pro Bends as a bonus from Yamaha with my 2017 FX.  I replaced the stock handle bar with a straighter TAG Metals one and the guards still weren't an easy fit.  I ended up using the black spacer on the right side and a shorter stack of washers on the left side so that the guard didn't interfere with the the number plate as much.

On the bar mount between the guard and the mount bracket?

These ones? I had no idea what these are for but it makes sense as that's about how far the mounts are out ...IMG_1491650985.101811.jpg.b95b897e57774f41afc6c62f95e2d420.jpg

The Cycra Probend hand guards work great with the right mounting setup!  Not sure about the CRM, but I believe they can be made to work too.   The  most sturdy set up is to use the triple clamp side mounts http://cycraracing.com/cycra-1055-02-series-one-handguards-triple-clamp-side-mount-system/ and  you will need the spacer kit http://cycraracing.com/products/handguards/clamps/?sort=featured&page=2.   This set up allows the hand guards to avoid contact with the brake master cylinder and brake line on one side and clutch lever and cable on the other.   Be aware that handlebar clamps are not so sturdy with  handlebars that have a large taper where the clamp needs to be attached - like on our YZFX's.

This is the exact reason why I didn't buy these hand guards years ago. I can't for the life of me figure which parts I need to buy. Why in the world wouldn't all parts necessary to install come together in the package. ...frustrating.

So your saying I need to buy this spacer block now?

21 hours ago, Max17 said:

Yamaha Motor Canada MSL is $266 + HST = $300.  Mail-order sources are cheaper but not always convenient for some people.

I guess I'm more of a savvy shopper than most.

2 hours ago, skidoorules_98 said:

On the bar mount between the guard and the mount bracket?

These ones? I had no idea what these are for but it makes sense as that's about how far the mounts are out ...IMG_1491650985.101811.jpg.b95b897e57774f41afc6c62f95e2d420.jpg

Yes, those ones.  But I used one on the right side and a smaller stack of washers on the left.

left-mount.jpg

right-mount.jpg

Edited by Max17

2 hours ago, skidoorules_98 said:

Are you guys using your bar pad? I would like to keep a bar pad if I could.

The stock pad is too wide with the Cycra clamps on the bar but the TAG pad is just the right width.

I remember when I put mine on, they needed a little massaging of parts to get fit right; but got them to fit in the end. My number plate is a bit crooked, but other than that they are ok

4 hours ago, skidoorules_98 said:

This is the exact reason why I didn't buy these hand guards years ago. I can't for the life of me figure which parts I need to buy. Why in the world wouldn't all parts necessary to install come together in the package. ...frustrating.

So your saying I need to buy this spacer block now?

From your picture it looks like you already have the spacers.  They enable the brake line and master cylinder to clear the hand guard bar.

4 hours ago, skidoorules_98 said:

Are you guys using your bar pad? I would like to keep a bar pad if I could.

Yes, the stock yamaha bar pad fits fine.

Guards on but needed the spacers. I cut the top loop part off my number plate. Zero interference. Definitely bar pad is too wide.

• Like 2