KX100 Upgrades for Woods Riding

Hey Kawi riders! Wondering what upgrades I can do to a new KX100 will give me better performance for woods riding. I would also like to know if upgrading the exhaust/muffler actually increases overall hp instead of just transferring the powerband a bit. The 2014+ models already have 28hp. Hard to believe they can draw that much hp out of 100cc! Which muffler and exhaust would you recommend KX100 woods riders? Thanks

• Like 1

For woods riding;

Re-gearing the bike for slower technical trails helps. Generally you want to be riding mainly in 3rd and 4th. Going one tooth down in front is equivalent to 2.5-3 teeth up in the rear. I'd do that first, since it is the cheapest route. Then mess with the rear sprocket after that. Steel sprockets are preferred off road for longevity.

A fly wheel weight will help tremendously with that bike.

A new pipe will change the power band and add a little horsepower, both are desirable. The FMF Factory pipe or the Pro Circuit Platinum will work for what you want to do.

A new, quite, silencer with a spark arrester will be necessary. The FMF Turbine Core II will work for that.

You can always add a Rekluse. It would do wonders for an MX bike in the woods, but they are $$:eek:.

Don't forget Guards. Your going to want a pipe guard and a Skid/guide plate for your bike.

• Like 5

On 4/8/2017 at 9:05 AM, 6 Riders said:

For woods riding;

Re-gearing the bike for slower technical trails helps. Generally you want to be riding mainly in 3rd and 4th. Going one tooth down in front is equivalent to 2.5-3 teeth up in the rear. I'd do that first, since it is the cheapest route. Then mess with the rear sprocket after that. Steel sprockets are preferred off road for longevity.

A fly wheel weight will help tremendously with that bike.

A new pipe will change the power band and add a little horsepower , both are desirable. The FMF Factory pipe or the Pro Circuit Platinum will work for what you want to do.

A new, quite, silencer with a spark arrester will be necessary. The FMF Turbine Core II will work for that.

You can always add a Rekluse. It would do wonders for an MX bike in the woods, but they are $$:eek:.

Don't forget Guards. Your going to want a pipe guard and a Skid/guide plate for your bike.

Everything mentioned helps.

You can also advance the timing and use a reed spacer. 

If you want more a cylinder and head mod can help.

On the wife's kx100 I went up 3 teeth on the rear, flywheel,  advanced the timing and vforce reeds with the moose spacer. Stock pipe with a fmf turbine core 2 spark arrestor. 

And good clean jetting .

• Like 1

Just sold my daughters 2012 Honda 150RB cuz it was rebuild time and it boiled over on tight single track. Was wondering about a newer 100 to replace it. Any comments on the this being a decent replacement? What does the Moose spacer do? Im sure low end is the issue but can it be workable? Overheating in the slow and steep? TIA

• Like 1

A KX100 will have far more hp, it won't overheat either because the 2014+ KX100's have oversize radiators. The new ones also come with adjustable handlebar risers so you don't have to worry about buying one. You can definitely make the low-end power pretty decent with the upgrades 6 Riders mentioned. It will also be substantially more agile than a Honda 150. Overall a KX100 is quite the upgrade!

• Like 2

I wouldn't go down on the front sprocket, its already a 13 tooth and will eat up the swing arm guard if you go smaller.

Flywheel weight, 52 tooth sprocket, skid plate, oversized gas tank, hand gaurds.

We tried pro circuit and fmf exhaust. Fmf was better but to be honest the stock was almost if just as good as the fmf. I wouldn't put the turbine core on unless necessary, it stuffs the bike up.

In the right hands that will make it a real woods weapon

Vforce reeds too and proper jetting.

• Like 2