Front brake stopping power

I'm thinking of replacing my front brake pads for increased stopping power. The ones that are on there have plenty of life left but the front end is lacking serious stopping power.

Can I get some recommendations for a good set of pads? Any other tips or tricks for increasing stopping power? Seems like I read somewhere that sanding the discs helps.

Thanks

Deglaze your rotor, dry scotch brite works well.  I always use oem pads, they are excellent, and last.  Your issue is likely the rotor, but could be glazed pads too.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 2

I agree with deglazing the rotor. Make sure the rotor is not worn below minimum thickness.

New pads have to bed-in to the existing wear pattern on the rotor, which can cause decreased braking for a while because the faces of the rotor and pads are not contacting each other fully. If you sand the pads, you start that process over. But sometimes that's what you have to do if the pads become glazed.

Make sure the pads haven't become contaminated with chain lube, grease, oil, brake fluid. If that happens you might be able to save them with brake cleaner, eh...

Make sure the caliper is floating properly on its pins. When you put on new pads, the caliper has to reposition itself so that the space between the new pads align with the rotor when the wheel is installed. If those pins are corroded or sticking the caliper can't float into proper position. To determine if this is happening, watch the caliper as you pull the brake lever. The pull with feel spongy and the caliper itself will cock to one side as brake is applied instead of it remaining still and only the piston pressing the pad against the rotor.

Make sure the line is bled properly.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. Both lines have fresh fluid and the levers have great "feel". I tried deglazing the rotors with a scotch Brite pad but wasn't sure if I did any good.....I couldn't tell much change.

Quick update....... I spent about 10 min on each rotor scrubbing it with a new Scotch-Brite pad and the difference now is definitely noticeable. Thanks for the tip.

id also like to know this... how are guys pulling stoppies with no effort? no matter what I do, and what bike I buy... the front brakes always turn out to suck!!   I want something thatll lock the front tire up at 80 mph with 1 finger!!

went through this with my crf 450.  bought oversized master cylinder, SS brake line, caliper rebuild, fresh fluid, pads, rotor, nothing could get it to bite hard!!

bought a new ktm.. worked decent at the start, but once again, my front brake sucks just like the last 8 years have been.

Edited by cdf450

Ktm has the best front brake I've tried :excuseme: I had to tame mine down a bit with the carbon pads.. 

The sintered pads bite the hardest and get really grabby when they're hot. 

I'd just throw some new sintered pads on there in case they're glazed and bleed it.. U could try to sand the old ones..

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1