New to me 89 KX250

I just picked up a 1989 KX250 in pretty good shape. I only ride trials and the first gear on this thing goes about as fast at idle as the 3rd or 4th gear does on my XR. It's just way to quick for the type of riding I do. I'll count how many teeth are on the sprockets when I get home. Does anyone know how many teeth the stock sprockets have, and does anyone have a recommendation for really tight technical terrain? Thanks in advance. 

You can change your power valve spring and of course the sprockets - all will have an affect. I'd say start with the sprockets, which I believe will be a 13T front and 51T rear. You may even be able to tune it to run richer to be calm it down as well.

So it turns out the gearing on end the bike is stock at 14T front and 47T rear, i ordered a 12T front and I'm hoping it'll make 1st gear a little more reasonable.

Well I wasn't expecting those numbers, I was way off! lol I know that 1 tooth front is almost equal to 2 teeth at the rear though, so perhaps the math isn't as far off as it seems. Regardless, let us know how you get on!

1 on the front is 3-4 on the rear.  Look up your bikes microfiche, the sprockets without the word "optional" next to it are stock.  Same goes for jets.  The lower you gear it the harder the hit will be.

Edited by Jeekinz