3x3 airbox modification procedure.

I searched google for the 3x3 air box modification and no clear cut directions pop up.  I search on the TT drz400 page, it says no results.  

Can someone provide me with a link which works to some directions?  

Thank you.  The help is much appreciated.  

Thanks, I've seen this link.  But, I'm looking for instructions on cutting the hole itself.  I have a 2017 drz400s, do I remove the snorkel?  The snorkel doesn't seem to be removable.  

Also, what do I use to cut the hole?

Remove the snorkel, it's too restrictive, that's the reason for the mod. You can cut it with a dremel, jigsaw, handheld razor, whatever will work.

Just now, NewEngland400 said:

what do I use to cut the hole?

Something sharp! My E had the removable snorkel leaving me with the 3X3, but in the past I've cut into air boxes just scoring with a sharp razor knife. Once you lay out your 3X3, you can also drill holes in the corners and use a reciprocating saw or dremel tool, kind of makes a mess compared to razor knifing though

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

Remove the snorkel, it's too restrictive, that's the reason for the mod. You can cut it with a dremel, jigsaw, handheld razor, whatever will work.

Question:  can I begin by pulling the rubber snorkel out with plyers or my hand?  Or is cutting the only way to remove the rubber piece?

My plan is to cut the hole, get a better air filter, and exhaust.  Then rejet it.  All at once.  This was the service techs advice actually.  

1 hour ago, Dmouse said:

Something sharp! My E had the removable snorkel leaving me with the 3X3, but in the past I've cut into air boxes just scoring with a sharp razor knife. Once you lay out your 3X3, you can also drill holes in the corners and use a reciprocating saw or dremel tool, kind of makes a mess compared to razor knifing though

To the best of your knowledge, does the rubber piece come out by hand on a newer model bike?  Or do I just begin by cutting the entire piece (rubber snorkel and plastic square) out at once?

To the best of your knowledge, does the rubber piece come out by hand on a newer model bike?  Or do I just begin by cutting the entire piece (rubber snorkel and plastic square) out at once?

Try yanking it out, no risk cause your going to cut the hole bigger anyway. It should pull right out.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NewEngland400 said:

Question:  can I begin by pulling the rubber snorkel out with plyers or my hand?  Or is cutting the only way to remove the rubber piece?

My plan is to cut the hole, get a better air filter, and exhaust.  Then rejet it.  All at once.  This was the service techs advice actually.  

If you want to, you can, I guess. But you want that thing out and thrown in the garbage by any means necessary. I wouldn't worry about being nice to it. Just make your 3x3 cuts nice and neat.

The tech gave good advice. That method will save you a rejet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldYelMXer said:

I was able to pull my snorkel into the air box.
= )

I'll see if mine will work the same, I hope!  Not that it matters, I still need to make the hole.  

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

If you want to, you can, I guess. But you want that thing out and thrown in the garbage by any means necessary. I wouldn't worry about being nice to it. Just make your 3x3 cuts nice and neat.

The tech gave good advice. That method will save you a rejet.

How did you cut yours exactly?  It seems the usual method incorporates a mechanical saw or circular saw to make the initial hole, and then it's edged off with a hot knife of some sort.  

I know it doesn't need to be perfect, but I don't want it to be messy.

17 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

How did you cut yours exactly?  It seems the usual method incorporates a mechanical saw or circular saw to make the initial hole, and then it's edged off with a hot knife of some sort.  

I know it doesn't need to be perfect, but I don't want it to be messy.

6735238-Hand-Holding-a-Utility-Knife-Box-Cutter--Stock-Photo-knife.jpg

• Like 1

I want to warn you if you go the drill route, to be careful when cutting the back side of the square (the side closest to the rear of the bike). I have seen the result of people who don't know how to drill put too much weight on the drill, and cut into the other side of the airbox.  This would need to be plugged unless you want your tire flinging dirt directly into the airbox. Not a hard fix, just get some rubber cement or epoxy, but ugly.

This is the side I am talking about. The other side of the airbox is quite close to the top. Pic is not my bike.

3x3.png

2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I want to warn you if you go the drill route, to be careful when cutting the back side of the square (the side closest to the rear of the bike). I have seen the result of people who don't know how to drill put too much weight on the drill, and cut into the other side of the airbox.  This would need to be plugged unless you want your tire flinging dirt directly into the airbox. Not a hard fix, just get some rubber cement or epoxy, but ugly.

This is the side I am talking about. The other side of the airbox is quite close to the top. Pic is not my bike.

3x3.png

So you used a box cutter?  No heat or anything?  

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

6735238-Hand-Holding-a-Utility-Knife-Box-Cutter--Stock-Photo-knife.jpg

Did you just keep slicing each side of the square until it was finished?  I feel like this would require many singular slices.

I'm guessing you don't have much experience using a razorknife/boxcutter, one with a brand new blade does good work. Yeah, many passes will have to be made to make it through the plastic, wear gloves so you don't cut yourself. You may want to change to a fresh blade a few times while doing this

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmouse said:

I'm guessing you don't have much experience using a razorknife/boxcutter, one with a brand new blade does good work. Yeah, many passes will have to be made to make it through the plastic, wear gloves so you don't cut yourself. You may want to change to a fresh blade a few times while doing this

I guess I'm assuming the plastic body part (under the seat) which I'll be cutting out is made of a high density plastic, thicker than the side panels/fenders.  This is starting to sound like its isn't.  I'll take your advice Dmouse, by the way, how have you been my friend?